Johnson Family

Johnson Family

March 1, 2011

Developing, Nurturing and Maintaining Good Relationships with Our Children

A month ago I was asked to present a class at our weekly Relief Society meeting about “Developing, Nurturing and Maintaining Good Relationships with our Children.”   I was so excited… I’m pretty passionate about this topic so I really enjoyed studying, reading and preparing my thoughts… and now that it’s over I figured I’d post it here too.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was listening to a Mormon Channel conversation with Sister Julie B. Beck, general Relief Society President, and her daughters… when this quote really struck me.  She said,

“I wanted to raise people who would be my friends when I was old.  That means we had to do things when they were young that would build them into the kind of people I would enjoy when they were older.  We had to teach them manners, and cleanliness, to be thinkers, to laugh, to enjoy life.  That meant I had to be their parent when they were young so that I could be their friend when they were older.”

I love that.  She goes on to say that PARENTING is hard and takes a lot of revelation and help from above… so of course the number 1 thing we can do  in order to develop, nurture and maintain a good relationship with our children, is to seek the guidance of our Heavenly Father.

Gene R. Cook, in one of our very favorite books called, “Raising A Family Unto the Lord” says, “If you want to be successful, get the Lord involved.”

That said, I have divided my thoughts into four sections…

communication3

4 comments:

Dre + Drew - Pacific Northwest Living - DuPont, WA said...

They were lucky to have you do this presentation! Such a talent you have in this area. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and ideas. I will be calling you often as my kids grow for advice. We look up to you and Chris in this area! Loved the new timeline you guys did on the computer. Can you email me the program you did this in? I am still trying to figure out how to do mine.

Staci said...

Oooohhh, can you please email me your program, too.
stacicreswell@hotmail.com
It would be so easier for me to SHOW Brandon.

Ang said...

Lisa, thanks so much for sharing your beautiful lesson. The reminders are great and I learned some new things.

Emily said...

Thanks for sharing this Lisa. You gave me so many great ideas and I had other promptings while I read your lesson. Our stake president challenged everyone to memorize the Proclamation on the
Family, and that has been a great experience for our family. Anna and I have both finished and everyone else is working on it, and the experience created an opportunity for so many testimony-filled conversations and home evenings. Thanks and it was good to see you at Amy's wedding!