One of our favorite Christmas presents this year was a red Christmas Count-down Box from my sister, Amy. She mailed it so that it arrived exactly on December 1st with strict instructions to ‘open immediately’.
Each day we looked forward to opening up the next little door and pulling out the paper inside. Thank you, Amy, for a very thoughtful, very exciting present that made our December extra special. We love you!
Here is the list of what was written on each piece of paper…
December 1 – a quote about Christmas from President Dieter F. Uchtdorf: “Heavenly Father’s love for His children is the core message of the plan of happiness, which plan is made active through the Atonement of Jesus Christ – the greatest expression of love the world has ever known. How clearly the Savior spoke when He sad that every other commandment hangs upon the principle of love. If we do not neglect the great laws – if we truly learn to love our Heavenly Father and our fellowman with all our heart, soul and mind – all else will fall into place. The divine love of God turns ordinary acts into extraordinary service. Divine love is the motive that transports simple words into sacred scripture. Divine love is the factor that transforms reluctant compliance with God’s commandments into blessed dedication and consecration.” LOOK FOR WAYS TO SHOW LOVE TO EVERONE THIS CHRISTMAS.
December 2 – Find your favorite scripture of Christ and share it with your family. (This was such a good night… great testimonies given… many tears from Mom.)
December 3 – Today is all about Megan. Make sure you let her know just how much you love her and look for ways to serve her. Allow me to start. Megan, you are so much fun to play with. You are always so happy. Even when you walked one-flip flopped all over Disneyworld, you were still smiling! I love you. (Megan got to have the special RED PLATE for dinner this night and was SOOO happy to be the center of attention!)
December 4 – Make a Christmas card for someone not normally on your Christmas card list.
December 5 – It’s secret note Saturday. Write as many secret I LOVE YOU notes as you can and deliver them when no one is looking. (Notes all OVER the place… but every note that was written to Dad was placed exactly under his pillow. When he got into bed he had to read a note from every person. Chris wrote notes and put them in everyone’s stocking. So fun!)
December 6 – Introduce yourself to someone new at church.
December 7 – It’s Emily’s day today. Give Emily hugs and ell her three reasons why you love her. For example: Emily, I love you because you are incredibly smart, super-fun to play with, and you have the most contagious giggle ever. Now I wish I could give you a big hug, but someone else is going to have to do it for me. (Megan was so sad upon hearing that it was EMILY’s special day. “I wanted it to be my special day again”, she said.)
December 8 – Put something out to feed your Christmas lizard. (We have a lizard that lives under our BBQ – in the summer we saw him everyday, but we haven’t seen him in awhile – too cold, even in Georgia! We thought of him, though.)
December 9 – It’s Luke’s day. As if Luke isn’t already a rock star. Luke, I think you’re just about the most adorable little boy ever!
December 10 – “The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear”. Buddy the ELF. Call a relative and sing a Christmas song over the phone. You will brighten someone’s day. (We called Amy!)
December 11 - It’s Mom’s day! Look for ways to help mom without even being asked. Make sure you tell her why she’s the best mom ever (because she is)… at least, I think so, and the best sister too. I love you, Lis.
December 12 - Today is Sneaky Service Notes Saturday, and make sure you’re sneaky about it!
December 13 – Call Scott and sing Happy Birthday.
December 14 - Give everyone High Fives today.
December 15 - Katie, today is all about you! Everyone look for ways to serve Katie and let her know how much she means to you. Katie, I love being around you. You are maturing so fast. You have a good level head and a really helpful attitude. I wish we could hang out more often. I love you!
December 16 – Call Mike and sing Happy Birthday.
December 17 – Write down your testimony of Christ and email it to Elder Walton.
December 18 - Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to deliver Christmas goodies to a neighbor, ring the doorbell, and run like crazy! This message will self destruct in 10 seconds.
December 19 – Make someone else’s bed today… but wait until they get up first. No one wants to be folded neatly under the covers with pillows stacked on top. (The kids thought this one was really funny.)
December 20 – Call your grandparents and sing them a Christmas song… or better yet, skype them. (We called and gave them each a piano recital of Ryan and Katie’s Christmas recital songs)
December 21 – This is Ryan’s day. Give Ryan a high-five every time you see him and give him a compliment every time he stands on his head. I am withholding my compliment until you stand on your head, Ryan… just kidding. Ryan, you are the coolest! I loved running all over Hollywood Studios with you and riding all the scariest rides. You’re such a daredevil! (Naturally Ryan was on his head a lot this day. He loved it!)
December 22 – Today is Chris’ day. Everyone tell your dad 5 reasons why he’s the best dad in the world… You don’t have to do it all at once, you can space it out throughout the day. I’ll start. Chris, you are the best brother in law because you love to play games late into the night, you are genuinely interested in my life, you are a great husband and father to your family, you are a brilliant and willing resource for my financial questions, and I love your sense of humor. (The timing was perfect for this to be Chris’ day. We had a BYU party and watched BYU beat Oregon State in the Las Vegas bowl game… and then he watched Jimmer Fredette and the BYU basketball team beat Nevada… what could be better than watching two BYU teams compete and win in one day… AND have your whole family spout off reasons you are wonderful… yes, it was definitely Chris’ day!)
December 23 – Make Matthew smile today. What a blessing it is to have such a happy little brother in your family.
December 24 – Write a short letter to Jesus. (I peeked ahead on this one and we did it on the 23rd. Love this idea.)
December 25 – Merry Christmas, Johnsons! You are an exceptional family. You are all talented, smart, stalwart, goofy and So much fun. I love every minute I get to be with all of you. I want you to know how much I love the gospel. I know it’s true. I know Jesus Christ is our savior and because of him we can all live together again with our Heavenly father. What an incredible blessing that is. That’s why we celebrate his birth. Merry Christmas! (We read this one on Christmas morning right before opening presents.)
Thanks again, Amy. You are the best.
12 comments:
Oh, that was so fun to hear how some of those days went. Thanks for writing that.
When you are done at the Olympics can you come to Washington?
Micah,
Lisa what a wonderful present. I love how it kept your family focused on Christlike things during the season. I will have to try something similar next year.
Thank you so much for sharing all the things she wrote, and thank you sister Amy for doing this-so cool!
Leave it up to Amy to do something awesome like that! And at the same time make me feel like a mediocore sister! lol
Great idea. I'm going to steal that one!
What a wonderful gift....from Amy, and then to give to each other throughout the month. And now, to share with all of us. Love it.
That is such a wonderful idea! I've always wanted to do an advent calendar with my kids, and I love how these assignments are all service/Christ based. So cute!
Thanks for sharing. Love this idea what a wonderful gift.
Love this idea LIsa. Your sister is very clever!
Great, great idea. I love it!!
what a gift from the heart. How sweet.
Post a Comment