Johnson Family

Johnson Family

July 9, 2010

Up to Alpspitze

1gondola

Friday morning we headed straight to the base of the Alpspitze… the second highest peak in Germany.  We boarded the Alpspitbahn gondola which took us to Osterfederkopf… the look out area.  As the gondola ascended, the view got more and more spectacular.  Like the photo above, the distant mountains and town of Garmisch-Partenkirchen looked blurry and almost fake because of their distance.

1down the gondola copy 

Osterfelderkopf mountain station sits a breathtaking 2050 meters above sea level.     New this very July, is two protruding steel look out balconies hovering over the 1000 meter abyss.  I’m sure they test out this sort of thing before letting visitors on, but I could definitely feel a little movement while out at the end and it does something to your stomach.  It didn’t help that Luke was bouncing up and down.  In fact, one man wouldn’t even walk out on it after seeing Luke’s little bounces gently move the lookout tower. 

1looking down 1 lookout (2)1family1Ryan

After checking out the views from the overhangs we headed over to the grassy area for another great view.

1 Lisa and Katie  1emily21 hillside1 mountain side1hiking down3 copy

1 Katie climbing

From the mountain station are hiking trails down and also up to the Alpspitze peak. One of the highest peak in Germany…2628 meters above sea level.   We saw lots of hikers.  In fact, almost everyone travelling up the gondola had hiking boots on.  They are very serious about their hiking boots and hiking poles here. Mental note:  must buy hiking shoes.  Within about five minutes we reached a patch of snow.  It wasn’t cold so I don’t know how the snow was even still there, but Chris and the kids had fun making snowballs and throwing them at each other.  The hike was gorgeous and open to beautiful views all around us.  We hiked until we reached a turnoff and small trail dead-end where we stopped to eat Pringles and have a drink.  Chris took Matthew off his back and then he and Ryan and Katie climbed the rock walls to see if they could get a look at the Zugspitze… the tallest peak in Germany (2962 meters). 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1hikeThis is where the little kids and I waited while Chris and the big kids did their climbing.

1 zugspitze

This is the view of the Zugspitze, which of course this picture doesn’t do justice.  When they hiked down it was my turn… see below.  It was so impressive.

     1Lisa on the ridge1hiking down2 cropped1Johnson family pic

After the hike we stopped and relaxed on the grass for awhile and then Chris made us sing ‘The Hills are Alive…’ for the video camera while we twirled around.  It was a perfect morning.  A plaque at the mountain station  captured what someone wrote in a journal, years ago, having just climbed to the peak… “ What should I write? – I cannot think, on this mountain as I rest, of anything but silent awe, and feeling blessed.” Max from Munich.   Amen, Max.

1girls1Katie1Lukey copy

11 comments:

MOM said...

Wow Lisa, that is absolutely gorgeous. So amazing that you live right there. I love the travel details.

Great Grandma said...

I enjoyed it too!! Must be like a dream come true to see all that. Bless all of you. We miss you.

Geneva said...

Of course you were singing the sound of music......I started singing edelweiss after viewing one of the first pics! Wow this is amazing! Another thing to add to the "pro" list.

Annie said...

Its the Family Von Trapp!!! :-)

Sarah Walton said...

Wow, all I can say is AMAZING!! I want to spin around on those mountains and sing "the hills are alive!" too!

Dan said...

That is incredible. We have to do this when we come out to visit!

Shelley said...

You guys don't have to watch a movie...you are totally IN a movie! Those pics are fantastic!

elisha said...

Truly amazing!!!!!!!!!!

Amy Silva said...

I love reading about all your adventures. Those photos are amazing. My favorite is the one with the windy path and the layers of mountains in the background. Gorgeous!

Nikole said...

Those pictures are breathtaking!

Mike Walton said...

After seeing these photos... I think I might be coming to Germany sooner than expected.