Johnson Family

Johnson Family

January 6, 2011

Garmisch, Germany

castle2 

Chris’ parents stayed into January a bit and we kept the kids out of school to take a trip to Garmisch, Germany.   And guess what we  found… blue skies!  It was wonderful.  Heidelberg had been under foggy white skies for the last couple weeks of December and it was so nice to see blue skies again.  We stopped at the town just below the  Neuschwanstein Castle for a picture and a bathroom break (70 euro cents each) and then hopped back in the cars.  We made great time getting to Garmisch.  It’s a beautiful drive through the German and Austrian alps.

 driving

The kids were so excited to get to the Edelweiss Lodge again.   It was fun to see all of the Christmas decorations… Not many places can pull off a life-sized sleigh as a fireplace decoration.

in the lobby

  The kids could hardly wait to get to the hotel buffet restaurant…   They LOVE it!

eatingDad Emily eating 

We spent a lot of time in the lodge relaxing, watching movies, playing games in the ‘secret loft’ (which is what we called it even though it is not really secret at all), running between our room and Grandma and Grandpa’s room, swimming in the indoor pool, sitting in the big outside hot tub, sitting in the rocking chairs by the nice hot fire, riding the teeny tiny merry go round with the little boys, and eating, eating, eating at the buffet!  What a fun place!

gamessteamy hottubMatthew eatingin the lobby3

in the lobby4

Luke thought for sure he was sitting by Santa Claus himself and kept saying, “Mom, it’s Santa.  Right there!”  to which I kept saying, “Luke, shhhh!”  But now that I think about it, if Santa were to come on a relaxing vacation after all of his Christmas work was through, I’m positive it would be here!

 

 

 

 

 

in the lobby2lobby5lodge fireplace 

 

One day Chris and his parents took a daytrip to the Dachau Concentration Camp just outside of Munich.  (Kids 12 and under were not allowed so I stayed at the lodge with the kiddos.)  Chris, Del and Shelley said it was interesting and very sobering.

Concentration camp2 Concentration campConcentration camp3

 

The next day we decided to do the Zugspitze… the highest peak in all of Germany.   We drove about ten minutes to the base of the Zugspitze and finished putting all of our fifty layers on.  The temperature just waiting here for the train was about 12 degrees Fahrenheit.  We were cold and we hadn’t even started yet.  Jokingly I said to Chris, “This is going to be a once in a lifetime experience because I am NOT doing this again.”

waiting for the train 

 

 

 

We took the Zugspitzbahn (the train) about two thirds up the mountain and then took a cable car up the remaining third.  Already I had changed my mind… I would do this again in a heartbeat… it was breathtaking… 

 

 

panoramic2

panoramic3

panoramic view2

Seriously. 

zug views3zug pointzug chris and lisa   zug family shot

zug family shot Right as we gathered to take a family picture the wind picked up and blew tiny pieces of ice in our faces.  Ouch!   We had to turn away and then try again in a different direction.

zug family shot2 zug grandma zug grandpa  zug view5zug views2zug viewszug chris lisa

It was a mere –17 degrees Fahrenheit at the top so we could only stand to be outside for about four minutes before our face was red and sore and our teeth frozen (if we dared open our mouths).  The little boys, who throughout the day had an increasing temperature, couldn’t handle even that long.  Luckily the highest point in Germany is equipped with a big building with large observation rooms and a great German restaurant.  After checking out the views we brought everyone in, took half our layers off and headed for lunch. 

zug lunch groupzug lunch group2zug lunch2 zug lunch emily 

That picture of Emily shows that the restaurant was sitting on a cliff and had amazing views of the Alps.  Our food was really good too!

zug saladzug lunch group3    

On the way down…zug view6zug sunsetzug cable car2

 

At the bottom after a great ride all the way down the mountain on the cable car.     zug cable car

driving homeAnd then the next day… heading back to Heidelberg so Grandma and Grandpa could fly home.  Thanks for coming, Grandpa and Grandma!!! It was so fun!

9 comments:

Ash said...

That is gorgeous! You are all brave to face the -17.

David and Mary Walton said...

Wow, that is amazing! Amazing scenery and amazing you would do that! It looks just as cold as you said, and you were even smiling. Fun to see those red mittens. What a great trip.

Shelley said...

So cold, but so amazing! Good thing we had our warm coats on. Loved Garmisch and the hotel. Thanks for an amazing trip! We loved it all!

The Seaquist Family said...

I am cold just looking at those pictures! I wonder what it would be like in the spring? I had no idea Germany got so cold. Sounds like the schools are a little more laid back than Germany. So good. What beautiful pictures. Looks like so much fun.

Sarah Walton said...

Wow, hopefully it's a little warmer up there in May! Looks like you guys had such a great visit with Chris's parents!

scott said...

I like Del's mullet in the "Zug lunch Picture." Must keep his neck nice and warm!

Katie said...

That was so fun and cold! In the summer it's really hot though.

Marilee said...

Just caught up on all your posts! I'm falling in love with Germany over and over each time I read your blog and see your adventures! How fun to have Del and Shelley there and to be able to see so many amazing things! The Neuschwanstien Castle and the Dachau Concentration Camp were two of the places Adam and I went to when we were there a few years ago. Both very memorable places! Sorry its been so cold though! I'm cold just looking at the pics! Love you guys!

elisha said...

Can we hike up that? That looks amazing. I hope it's not that cold in May!