Johnson Family

Johnson Family

July 2, 2011

ESPN night in Heidelberg

group shot

The Women’s Soccer World Cup was obviously big here this year since Germany is hosting it.  The tickets for the first US game, held in Sinsheim, just 20 minutes from our house, was sold out almost a year ago, but even still we’re kicking ourselves that we didn’t try harder to get tickets.  The women’s team held an open practice here too and because of a few different things, we didn’t make it there… (we’re kicking ourselves about that too.) 

So instead of tickets for the game in Sinsheim, we decided we’d go down to the main marktplatz in Heidelberg and watch the game on a big screen TV and cheer with all the rest of the Americans here in Heidelberg.   It ended up being a really great night.  We found the ESPN truck and started watching the game. 

 cathedral and ESPN truckcastle girls   game Emily ESPN truckgame flagsgame -geneva cartergame Luke game hanna katie  

At halftime we wandered down the Haupstrasse in search of our new favorite tomato and cucumber gyros (which Elisha discovered for us).  

game street game Chris sandwich game Emily sandwich game Emily sandwich2 game Megan food2game Megan foodMatt Matt2 Cole

When we got back to the ESPN truck the second half had already started.  After watching the US victory they told us to cheer loud as a camera swung over the crowd.  On some ESPN channel somewhere we were totally on TV.  Just after the game finished they told us they’d be doing an interview in the crowd.  We waited about 10 minutes and then the reporter walked into the crowd and stood exactly beside Chris.  Then the ‘body guards’ filed in around then and spent the next ten minutes talking to Chris and Megan while they waited.   During the interview Chris beamed and Megan waved her flag.  (You can see Hanna, Jake and a bit of Katie too.)

  interview interview2

Hanna and Katie waiting for the interview…game Hanna Katie2

While we were waiting for the interview I got talking to one of the ESPN gals in charge.  She had picked up a  pile of ESPN t-shirts which it looked like she was going to be giving away.   I said to her, “You know, if you are giving those away, my husband is a BIG ESPN fan.”  She asked which one was him and I pointed him out.   “Hmmm, could he fit into a Medium?”  I shook my head and she immediately said, “I have some hats too.  Let me go get them.”   Before she started throwing them into the crowd she turned and handed me one.  Ryan got a hat, Geneva got a T-shirt and Megan was pretty excited about her ESPN pin!

interview Meganinterview ChrisESPN truck2Geneva

             group

Yep, that would be Mia Hamm…. only the greatest US women’s soccer player ever.  The middle anchor is Brandi Chastain    … also an amazing US women’s soccer player.  interview Mia Hamm interview TV  

Chris shaking hands with Mia Hamm… he was pretty excited!  So was Geneva, who played soccer all through high school as well. 

Mia Hamm Mia Hamm2Mia Hamm3  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Go figure, we have to live in Germany to meet Mia Hamm and get on American TV.  Such a great night!! 

fountain

4 comments:

The Starbuck Family said...

What?! I can't believe you guys got to see Mia Hamm! What a fun time watching soccer.

Shelley said...

How exciting! We wondered if you would be able to be involved with any of the soccer stuff. I remember when Brandi Chastain ripped off her shirt when they won. Now I'm always scared when I watch soccer...

Ash said...

I like the hat!

Geneva said...

That was agreat night! I do not love the picture of me however! Mia Hamm is my soccer hero...