We had heard from several people that their call came on Monday, so when it wasn’t there I thought we were in for another week, but I checked again on Tuesday after I drove Katie to soccer and it was there. I called Ryan to let him know just before he dashed off to work. Ryan called some friends and I sent out several texts to invite everyone to come over and see him open it. Then he went to work at Arby’s and fielded questions from his co-workers about his mission call. He said he was just giddy the whole time. They let him leave work at 6:50 instead of 8:00. The Aston Family drove down from Denver and were first to arrive. Chris went to Youth Night and spread the word for anyone who wanted to to come on over.
Chris set up one computer in the living room facing Ryan so that all of our family could skype and watch him open it. Then he set up another one in the dining room with the googlemaps open where friends could make their guesses. It was so fun to have so many people there to support him.
I love this one with Loryn and Megan in the bottom corner…
Ryan said… “As I started opening it, my hands were shaking a little. I opened it and started reading… “Dear Elder Johnson: You are hereby called to serve as a missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the ADRIATIC SOUTH MISSION. Everyone was scrating their heads. Where is that? Then, finally, everyone started cheering. Then I continued reading… “It is anticipated that you will serve for a period of 24 months. You should report to the Provo Missionary Training Center on Wednesday, July 27, 2016. You will prepare to preach the gospel inthe ALBANIAN LANGUAGE.” I’ll also add that after I read my mission, my hand started shaking uncontrollably. I had to hold the paper with both hands and it still shook like crazy. I am so excited to share the gospel with the people in Albania, Macedonia and Kosovo.”
Katie is so excited for her big brother. Tenley and Mark here to support him. (Missing Tate who had to work.)
Wow. What a complete shock – but so exciting. It was great to have so many people there to offer their congratulations and be there to share in the excitement. After everyone left and Dad went upstairs to pack, I remember sitting with Ryan in the kitchen and talking to him about how he felt. He is such an optimistic good kid. I know it’s going to be a hard mission but that Ryan will love it.
Facts about the Adriatic South Mission
Albania
- The Adriatic South Mission was organized on July 1, 1996.
- There are 2,799 LDS members in Albania in 6 wards and 6 branches.
- Soccer is Albania’s most popular sport.
- Climate is hot and humid. Snows very little. Summer months are quite hot.
- Lunch is the main meal. Most meals center around dishes made using meat and vegetable and Mediterranean herbs and spices like oregano, rosemary, and black pepper.
- Desserts, including baklava and rice pudding are popular
- Less than half the population consider religion to be important in their lives.
- Two biggest events in Albanian culture are weddings and funerals. Lots of traditions go into both.
Kosovo
- The official languages of Kosovo are Albania and Serbia – which are also the two main ethnic groups present in the country.
- One important aspect of tradition culture is Besa – the idea of keeping one’s word/honor as well as helping those who are in need. Meals in Kosovo generally use different types of meats and hearty pies. Proja, a type of cornbread, and baklava, a pastry are also popular dishes.
No comments:
Post a Comment