Johnson Family

Johnson Family

December 26, 2009

No Empty Chairs

necklaces copy‘No Empty Chairs’ is our family motto.  After every family prayer we all put our right hands together, curl them around and shout our motto while moving our collective hands up and down.  We do it every day, after every family prayer, and have done it for years and years.  We have lots of special memories of our handshake.  Extra hands from visits of Grandmas and Grandpas and family and friends… several new little baby hands set on top for their first family handshake… little toddler hands grabbing on to thumbs during our handshakes and shouting CHAIRS at the top of their lungs… little lefty girls sticking their ‘wrong’ hand in for a backwards handshake… Lots of times our handshakes end in giggles.  Always they end with smiles.

Ryan, Katie and Emily have a great understanding of our motto… that we want our whole family to make it back to live with Heavenly Father, and that we need to help and encourage every member of our family to get there.  Megan and I were in the van alone recently and I began a conversation about our family motto.  I asked, “What does ‘no empty chairs’ mean, Megan?”  She answered, “We want to all get to heaven.  And if we are all there and we’re looking around and Emily is not there, then we’ll be sad.”  (I don’t know why she used Emily in her example!) 

One of my favorite Christmas gifts this year was from my parents.  They special ordered necklaces and key chains engraved with our family motto.  For me, a large square pendant.  For the girls, a round pendant with the motto on one side and their initial on the other.  For Chris and the boys, key chains with their initial and our motto below.  We skyped Grandma and Grandpa late on Christmas afternoon and opened the small boxes in front of them.  Yes, I cried.  Thanks again for such a thoughtful and meaningful gift, Mom and Dad. We love them!

5 comments:

Marilee said...

That makes me want to cry along with you Lisa! How thoughtful! I want one too :-)! I love that you guys do that and we might have to copy the tradition with our family theme (We're all in this togehter-yes we came up with it after the first High School Musical came out)! Anywho, just caught up on all your posts and you are just simply the best mom I've ever met! You are so creative and fun and do everything for your family! How do you have the time? Seriously, when I grow up (or move into my house, whichever comes first :-) I want to be like you! I'll be calling to take notes so start getting your lesson plans ready. I'd like the first days lesson to be: How to be creative and take the time to put your ideas into action! :-) Love You!

Jennifer said...

Lisa what a totally awesome, thoughtful gift from your parents. I fell the same as your friend Marilee. You inspire me to be a better mother everytime I read your blog. You are such a wonderful example. Sometimes I go to read your blog just because I need to be uplifted and reminded of what kind of mother I want to be. You should write a book with all your ideas. It would be an instant best seller!

Geneva said...

Wow no pressure after the above two comments....I have to say that these are even more beautiful in person. Lucky me to have gotten to visit with you if only for one day last weekend and see in person your cute and amazing family. I'm glad I have such a great example of how to be an awesome mom and raise great kids. Thanks for always setting the bar high.... so that I can always try just a little harder.

Emily said...

Lisa, what a wonderful tradition and special gift. We do something similar that my dad made up when we were little: Together Forever! We shout three times with everyones hands stacked oldest to youngest. It's especially the favorite of the youngest member of the family who might get nothing out of family home at that age except for enjoying this tradition. tradition.

Lindsey said...

Awesome. Your parents are so great!