Johnson Family

Johnson Family

December 22, 2012

December Fun

Thursday, November 29th – Christmas Tree Cutting

We went to the Schwetzigen Christmas Tree Lot on Thursday evening and wandered around looking for the perfect tree. Dad cut it down and he and Ryan carried it to be wrapped and tied it to the van.

Nov 28Nov 28 Christmas tree

Friday, November 30th

Megan and Emily had their Hip Hop performance at ‘HOLIDAY MAGIC’… the big Christmas Market on PHV.  It was fun to see them perform since we’d only seen some practice moves at home without music.   We dropped them off for an early rehearsal and headed to the food booths to pick up some dinner.  Ryan was gone – headed to the Stake Center for a youth dance with Alexander -- so we only had Katie, Luke and Matthew – which was kind of strange.  We never really have just those three.  We grabbed some Mexican soup and headed inside to get seats for the performance.  They did a great job all dressed with red t-shirts and blue jeans.  It was fun.  Once they performed we made some quick graham cracker ‘tents’ with candy, waved at Santa and Mrs. Claus, stopped by at the Christmas Tree Lighting and happily returned home to enjoy the rest of our evening.  We downloaded and watched ARTHUR CHRISTMAS with the kids.  Fun to watch a new Christmas movie.

December 1st

Chris, Ryan went to go clean the church and then headed to the basketball court with friends.  Meanwhile I took Megan and Luke to a birthday party.  Once everyone was home in the afternoon we decorated the Christmas Tree while watching ARTHUR CHRISTMAS (again so that Ryan could see it). 

Matthew fell asleep on the computer chair watching it…

Dec - Matthew falling asleep

Then we read the ‘Tale of 3 Trees’ for our first Christmas story of the month and then made a new marshmallow brownie recipe that turned out delicious.  We had wondered about heading out to a Christmas market but we were just enjoying the candy cane hot chocolate, Christmas music and twinkling lights of the tree too much to venture out. 

{Grandma and Grandpa Johnson sent us an early Christmas package to open at the beginning of the season.  A beautiful Christmas quilt, a Kid’s BOP Christmas CD, and a family sized container of Stephens Candy Cane Hot Chocolate.  If we opt for cozy family nights on the couch all month – it’s Grandma’s fault!  THANKS GRANDMA.  We love it.}

Christmas decor - quilt

Sunday, December 2nd

We had our first major snow storm of the season on Sunday.  We drove to church in it and watched out the windows as it snowed the entire time we were in church.  The young men shoveled the front entry and got the snow off of our cars for the drive home. 

We had the first BISHOP’S YOUTH DISCUSSION at our house that night.  Emily, Megan, Luke, Matthew and I retreated upstairs to the boys room to read Christmas stories from the friend while Chris, Ryan, Katie and the rest of the youth from the ward talked about the benefits and dangers of social media and then ate treats. 

Monday, December 3rd

Monday night we headed out to deliver gifts to close friends.  As we drove we practiced singing ‘Snow Falling through the Air/Jingle Bells’ – from our Mickey Mouse Christmas CD and got it ready to present.  We gave out ‘Christ Centered Christmas’ Books and wanted to get them out early so they could use it throughout the season if they wished.   

Back at home we had races to see if the boys or girls could win getting their pjs on and then met in Megan’s room to read our Christmas story, our Christmas scripture and Christmas book.  {Emily put together a Christmas binder at Activity Days with scriptures, songs and stories for each day which she has been eager to involve us with.}

Tuesday, December 4th

Katie’s Young Women Combined Activity was a Mother Daughter Ice Skating trip at the Heidelberg Christmas Market.  Because of that Katie and I headed to town early and spent an hour and a half shopping on the Hauptstrasse and eating kase spatzle (delicious cheesy home made noodles) from a Christmas market booth.  We had SO much fun and I came home eager to spend more one on one time with each of my kids and also motivated to get out to as many Christmas markets as I can.   It was the perfect outing to really get us into the German Christmas spirit.  Beautiful glittering lights.  Decorated Store windows.  TONS of people bustling about.  Great smelling food in the air.  It was 41 degrees so not too bad, especially since we were really layered up.  Katie got a couple of presents purchased that she had been planning on for a while.  At 7:00 we met up with Katie’s friends at the ice skating rink.  Then we drank ‘kinder punch’ – the non alcoholic version of the German’s official Christmas Market hot drink – in cute little mugs which we took home for our ‘collection.’  Meanwhile Chris took the rest of the family to the church for YW’s and Tithing Settlement.  

Dec 4 ice skating YW

Ashlyn, Katie and Amanda

Dec 4 ice skating 

Wednesday, December 5th

In the afternoon I had a Ward Christmas Party planning meeting, went to buy some of the supplies, went and met Emily’s new teacher, picked up the kids from piano lessons and headed home for dinner and an evening in. 

Thursday, December 6th

Thursday morning the kids were excited to find the shoes and boots they left outside the night before, filled with chocolates and euro coins.  It’s Saint Nikolaus Day!  Matthew and Luke dug right in having chocolates for breakfast– while the rest of them showed a little more restraint… or perhaps they just had cereal and then chocolate.

Friday, December 7th

It was fun to watch the snow come down all day.  Luke decided he wanted to go play in it so we got him all dressed and ready.  I figured Matt would want to follow suite but he was just content to watch Luke play.  Luke was pretty cute out there in the yard by himself.  He kept making snowballs and thought it was so funny to throw them at the window right in front of us.  Matthew loved it.  Matthew would move his face from where the snowball had hit and Luke would try to move the snow along the glass to cover his face.  It kept them laughing for a long time. 

Dec snow Luke2 Dec snow Luke4Dec snow Luke3Dec snow Luke5Dec snow Luke6Dec snow Luke7Dec snow Luke8

Matthew’s surprised faces when the snowball came right towards us… this kid makes me laugh.

Dec snow Matthew6Dec snow Matthew7Dec snow Matthew8

Matthew was pretty content with staying inside with me.  I kept asking if he wanted to go out but he was more interested in the tree and watching Luke from the comfort of inside.

Matthew David… 3 1/2 years old

Dec snow Matthew1Dec snow Matthew4Dec snow Matthew5Dec snow Matthew9Dec snow Matthew10

We were excited for the Stake Leadership Christmas Social that night but by late afternoon we could tell it was not going to happen.  I would be happy to be ‘snowed in’ for lots of different events but I was sad to miss this party with so many great Stake friends, good food and fun games (that we were in charge of).  Heidelberg was pretty snowy but K-town was even worse with red road conditions.  Instead we ate pizza, watched ELF, organized and played with all the playmobil, cut out snowflakes with Emily and Megan, worked on Ryan’s map project, played a little Carcassonne and made chocolate nut clusters with Emily.  She loves to help me out in the kitchen and I love it!   Then Chris and I stayed up WAY too late watching all of ‘THE PIANO GUYS’ stuff on YouTube.  Amazing.

Saturday, December 8th

We were out to the church to decorate for the Ward Christmas Party at 10:00.  Chris and Ryan went to the gym early to play basketball and then joined us there.  An hour later Chris took Ryan, Katie, and Emily downtown to shop on the Haupstrasse and eat at the Christmas market.  It was a cold but beautiful blue skied day and they had a great time.  Megan came with me and the boys to the commissary to pick up some supplies for the party and then I spent the afternoon in the kitchen getting things organized and cooking a few things for the evening.  But first Megan, Luke, Matthew and I enjoyed a late ‘North Pole Lunch’ of Snowmen Donuts and Hot chocolate.    Megan is quite the helpful little buddy when she is filling the ‘oldest child’ shoes for the day.  She even mentioned that being the oldest would be so fun because she would get to do everything.  It’s hard being a middle kid.

The Ward Party started at 5:00 and we were there by 4:30 to finish up with the last few things.  It turned out really great.  We had a great turn out, lots of good food. {We bought and prepared the hams and the ward members signed up for 1. potato dish  2. vegetable  3. rolls or 4. dessert}   We ate and talked for a while and then the youth and kids met in the back to prepare and dress up for the nativity.  The youth sang ‘The Nativity Song’ while Chris played.  During the song the primary kids came in as they were sung about.  Emily was the angel holding the big lit star.  Megan was a shepherd.  Luke was a wise man.  It turned out really really cute.  Such a good idea.    I was in charge of helping the Wise Men get all dressed up and ready for their entrance during the song.   At the end of the night when I tucked Luke into bed I said, “Luke, you were the best Wise Man.”   With big eyes and lots of expression he said, “Actually I WAS the best.  You see-ed all of them and you know-ed that I was the reverent-est and I held my treasure good and sang the best… so I really was the best Wise Man.”    So funny – but I couldn’t argue with that.  He really truly was the reverent-est kid there.   It was great starting the party so early.  We ate dessert and visited with friends until about 7:15 and then the whole ward pitched in taking tables down and sweeping up stable hay and such.  The last of us were out the door by 8:00 and had the little kids in bed by 8:45.

Sunday, December 9th

We got to sleep in just a little bit more than usual today and that was fabulous.  Church started at 11:00 because of a joint German/American Sacrament Meeting – {Heidelberg’s last joint meeting since our ward will be closing down in the summer }.  Chris and the German Bishop spoke and we sang Christmas hymns in both languages at the same time which is quite the unique experience – except that we’ve done it three Christmases now.   It snowed again for most of the day.  The kids are hoping for a snow day tomorrow but I don’t think it will pan out.   The house was freezing cold when we got home so Matthew suggested I jump into my bed to get warm.  ‘OK,’ I said.  I snuggled in and he smiled at me.  I asked him if he wanted to get in with me and he ran around to Chris’ side and climbed in.  ‘Oh, are you the Dad now?’ I asked.  He answered with a deep Matthew voice… “Yes. Hi Sweetie Little Honey.”  It was just about the cutest thing ever. 

Chris and Ryan did their home teaching on the way home from church and then we had dinner together while we listened to the First Presidency’s Christmas devotional {from last Sunday but on too late to watch it live over here}. 

Ryan and Katie finished up some of the big projects they’ve  been working on lately too.  Glad to have those done!!

Katie Ryan projectsKatie Ryan projects1Katie Ryan projects2

Monday, December 10th

No snow day.  The kids headed off to school a little disappointed.  The boys managed to stay asleep so I turned on the Christmas tree lights and snuggled into the couch with my Christmas journal to do some writing and then chatted with my mom for a half hour.   It’s been pretty cold lately and our heater keeps going off.  Chris went and put extra blankets on each of the kids so that HE would be able to sleep better knowing they were warm.  When Luke noticed his extra blanket he said, “Dad is a nice Dad, isn’t he?”         

The boys and I stayed home all day which I love.    Our Monday night activities started early.  Chris called at 4:00 and said, “I’m coming home – let’s eat quick!”  Dinner was done by 5:10 and we went straight into Family Home Evening.  I pulled up a covered tray with ten holiday things on it for everyone to memorize for 30 seconds and then write down on a piece of paper when I covered it back up.  They loved it – all except Megan who is a little hard on herself when she can’t remember them all and ‘win’.   Then we had a lesson about Christmas symbols and how everywhere we look the decorations of Christmas can remind us of the true reason for the season.  We finished with the book ‘I Believe in Santa Claus’.   FHE was done in record time at 6:15.  We bought and downloaded the PREP and LANDING second episode and then watched them both while we ate the ‘muddy buddies’ the girls helped me make.  THEN… we played a game of TICKET TO RIDE, send the little kids to bed and then played another game of TICKET TO RIDE with Ryan and Katie.  Seriously, it was such a fun night.  Love it when we can get an early start on family time AND when the kids homework schedules allow us to just play a lot.

Tuesday, December 11th

Emily N. came over at 9:45 to watch the boys and I took off with some friends to see the Speyer Christmas Market. 

Dec 11 Speyer5

Dec 11 Speyer2

Dec 11 Speyer3

Dec 11 Speyer Dec 11 Speyer4

It’s strange we’ve never been to Speyer since it’s only 15 minutes away.  Fun shopping district, a cathedral, an old mint and a small but fun Christmas market nestled between them all.   It was 26 degrees so even layered we were chilly.  We got our hot drinks in our collectable mugs, and wandered down the market checking everything out and ended with hot potato soup and a roll which we ate standing up at one of the traditional high market tables.  I found the Galleria -- one of the department stores I like here -- and did a little shopping on my way out.

Emily had Activity Days at the church.  Chris had Tithing Settlement.  And Ryan and Katie had a cookie exchange and then went caroling to a few of the families on base.  I spent the evening chatting with Monae and Amy while Megan happily entertained the boys. 

Wednesday, December 12th

Geneva was headed with Jake on his 3rd grade field trip to the Heidelberg Christmas Market so I thought I’d go up and meet her there.  It was 26 degrees again so we bundled up and the boys went along with me.   We climbed the steps to the castle to look over the city, and then walked into the Christmas markets to get some good food to eat.   More cheesy spatzle and some fried potatoes.  Luke was enjoying himself but Matthew was a little tired and grumpy and wanted me to carry him.

View of Heidelberg from the Castle… 

Dec 12 HeidelbergDec 12 Heidelberg2Dec 12 Heidelberg4Dec 12 Heidelberg5Dec 12 Heidelberg3

Ryan, Katie, Emily and Megan walked over to Sister G’s for piano lessons.  Ryan went to the Middle School Holiday concert to watch Mark and Abi perform and then headed to basketball practice with Tate and Mark.  Chris went to do Bishopric Visits after dinner.  The little kids were all in bed by 7:15 when I left to pick up Ryan.  We could all use a little more sleep around here.

Thursday, December 13th

I was still tired after I got the girls out the door to the bus.  They all ride together now that the school is getting smaller and they’ve combined the Middle school and Elementary Bus Lines.  I helped Matt and Luke with their breakfast and then decided to head back to bed.  Luke started STAR WARS as soon as they finished and I was asleep in minutes.  Chris told me later that he called and Luke picked up the phone but didn’t say anything.  Chris said, “Hello?” and Luke whispered back “My mom is asleep”.   Chris said, “Well, don’t wake her up but when she does wake up then tell her to call me.”  He said, “OK Dad” and then got off the phone, came upstairs and whispered “Mom, call Dad after you wake up…”  and then as he left the room said “Sorry I woke you up” as he closed the door behind him.  Funny kid.

A short nap later I got up and ready for a RS luncheon at a Kristen’s house.  It was a fun get together with lots of great food and fun chatting.

We had the Elder and Sister Missionaries over for dinner. The kids made them ‘Merry Christmas/Thank you cards’, we ate tortilla guacamole soup and they shared a message with us after we ate.  That Sis. G always brings the spirit and makes you want to convert the world.  She’s so fabulous. 

{A Happy Birthday to my brother, Scott!}

Friday, December 14th

Chris got home early from work so as soon as the kids got home from school we were off on a date to the Bad Wimpfen Christmas market about 30 minutes away.  It is an enchanting market perfectly set in a U shape lined with half timbered houses and slanty cobblestone streets.  So beautiful.  We walked around and made only a few purchases… some Christmas cookie cutters, fresh candied almonds and a specialty Bad Wimpfen mug for our collection. 

Dec 14 Bad WimpfenDec 14 Bad Wimpfen2Dec 14 Bad Wimpfen3Dec 14 Bad Wimpfen5Dec 14 Bad Wimpfen6Dec 14 Bad Wimpfen7 Dec 14 Bad Wimpfen4Dec 14 Bad Wimpfen8Dec 14 Bad Wimpfen9Dec 14 Bad Wimpfen10Dec 14 Bad Wimpfen11

When we got home Katie had organized a whole Christmas production with plays, duets, and dance routines.  I’m still sad we didn’t video tape it.  Of course Luke and Matthew had some hilarious moves and Katie and Emily’s duet was cute.  Maybe we’ll tape it before Christmas.   After that we watched THE CHRISTMAS STORY and wrapped a few presents with the kids.  Fun night. 

Saturday, December 15th

After sleeping in Chris and Ryan headed to the gym to play basketball while the girls and I made potato soup for the crockpot and got the house cleaned up.  So much fun to spend some time with the girls in the kitchen.  Can’t wait for Christmas break where we can have some more TIME to cook and watch girlie movies and take pictures together.   We had a very productive morning and left at about 1:30 to meet the Chuggs in Mannheim for the Christmas Market. 

Dec 15 MannheimDec 15 Mannheim4Dec 15 Mannheim5

Dec 15 Mannhein3Dec 15 Mannhein6

We wandered all around the water tower, ate crepes and pizzas and fried potatoes with applesauce, chocolate dipped strawberries.  We let the little kids go on rides while the big four took off with a cell phone to wander by themselves.  It was a pleasant day – 45 degrees and the place was PACKED.  The Chuggs followed us home and we had a fun evening playing games and eating together.  

Sunday, December 16th

We had a potluck lunch after church today, which was fun.  By the time we got home at 2-something I had a bad headache and climbed into bed.  While I slept somehow my kitchen got perfectly cleaned and two batches of laundry folded while they watched home videos of past Christmases.  Such good kids.  

Chris made sugar cookie dough and the kids helped cut them out in heart shapes.  Then we had a little Family Home Evening to ‘remind’ us about the ‘Christ-centered Christmas’ lessons learned from last year that Mary teaches us to ponder and Joseph teaches us to serve.  We pulled out our packets from last year and enjoyed reviewing them and re-reading some of the passages in the book.  We made family plans for secret service for a family in our ward this week.

Chris and I watched a Christmas movie and got lots organized tonight and almost everything wrapped – until we ran out of wrapping paper.  What a fun week ahead of us – nice to be getting everything ready early.

{Happy Birthday to my brother, Mike!}

Monday, December 17th

We had an early dinner and then a quick FHE reading several stories from Emily’s Christmas binder.  Then Ryan and Dad were off to basketball practice and the girls and I watched the Little House on the Prairie Christmas episodes. 

Tuesday, December 18th

Emily and Megan had their last Hip Hop Class right after school.  I picked  them up and we all headed to meet Dad at the PX for some secret Santa shopping and wrapping paper restocking.  We grabbed a quick bite to eat, and then Dad left for the church with Ryan for scouts, Katie for Young Womens and Emily for Activity Days.  Emily’s leaders emailed pictures of their white elephant gift exchange and craft snowmen.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA          

Wednesday, December 19th

At 5:00 I picked up the kids from piano lessons and took them straight over to the Elementary School for Emily and Megan’s Choir Performance.  Each grade level performed about 4 songs and the girls were thrilled to go up and show off their stuff.  

dec 18 emily megan

Thursday, December 20th

Chris didn’t work today as part of his holiday ‘days off’.  We hung out at home and enjoyed getting some things done, and organizing our room.   Buddy has been ‘hanging out’ all over the house this month.  Matthew laughs every time he sees him and can’t wait to find him each morning.  He’s also really like ‘red pajamas like Buddy’.

Christmas decor - Buddy

Friday, December 21st

Ryan took off for Bobby’s ‘end of the world’ party after school and Ashlyn came over to hang out with Katie for the evening.  Chris and I watched an old Alfred Hitchcock Movie while Chris did a puzzle. 

puzzle

When Ryan got home at 11:00ish then Chris introduced them to the old movie – CLUE, which is an old favorite of Chris’ – and now a new favorite of Ryan’s.

Saturday, December 22nd

Chris and Ryan went and cleaned the church while the girls and I cleaned the house.  That night we had families over to watch the BYU Bowl Game.  It was live in the middle of the night on Thursday but Ryan and Chris couldn’t watch it together until Saturday so we postponed it and were successful in NOT finding out anything before the game.  The Gillespies, Mouritsens, Petersons and Chuggs came over to help us cheer. 

BYU groupBYU Johnsons

1 comment:

Geneva said...

This is awesome that you blogged all of this so quickly while it was still fresh in your mind. I wish I shared your tenacity for record keeping. Alas, I do not! Great work girl!