Johnson Family

Johnson Family

January 26, 2009

Great talks

Here I am posting again... (you can tell my husband and my baby aren't here!) Our family home evening was fun tonight. Ryan planned it and had us read in Luke about the Good Samaritan. We read it, acted it out, he asked questions to everyone, and then had us plan a service project which we all need to report to him about at the end of the week. It helps pass off one of his Faith in God requirements. When we got done he wanted to do another requirement. So he read to us D&C 89 while I dished up the brownies and ice cream. We talked about almost every verse. Then I sent the giggly girls to bed and Katie and Ryan stayed up to finish talking about the rest. Like always happens with me one thing lead to another and soon we were talking about being teenagers, knowing that every commandment has blessings attached, dating, the 'secrets' that Heavenly Father gives us to help us be happy... etc. etc. The kids LOVE these talks and so do I. Every time I paused (which was rarely) the kids said, "Keep talking Mom"... and so I did. About my high school, about how to be popular and good, about how being the oldest in the family is a big responsibility because their siblings will follow their example... Somewhere in there Ryan said, 'Is it ok if someone from my school has a crush on me?' He told us who it was and how she told him, we giggled together, he assured us there were no mutual feelings and then he looked at me and said, "AND THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT, MOM! -- You're the one who makes me wear cute clothes and do my hair!" Yes, it is true. I take all the blame.

It is amazing the transformation that occurs when I sit down and just talk to them. One of my main goals as a mother is that my kids will always want to talk to me, ask me questions and want to tell me everything -- crushes and all. Ryan says talking to me is 'the most amazing thing ever.' I hope that never changes. Love you kids! Thanks for great talks tonight.

8 comments:

Marilee said...

What a fun night! Annie, Spence and I had a "late night talk" a few weeks ago when Adam was out of town. I LOVED it and just like you hope my kids will always want to talk with me like that. Its been fun because ever since then Annie has really opened up to me and every night when I tuck her in she has some type of "news" to tell me about friends, school, boys, church, etc. Those times are the ones that make being a mom worth every single solitary second!

Shillig 1 said...

I love these moments as well. Brandon & I just had one of these "great talks" last night. He informed me that "it's nice to just talk"... so there is something to look forward to when they're 16 & bigger than you.

Ang said...

I love those talks too. They get even better every year. It's the only way to make the teenage years enjoyable! It's so wonderful to be friends with your kids.

Lindsey said...

I got chills reading this. That sounds like so much fun. I'm glad you're kids understand just how great of a mom you are!

Ang said...

Oh, and that Ryan is one cute kid! I bet he has more than just one girl crushing on him!! I'm so glad my one boy is not interested in girls at all yet - my girls more than make up for it!!!

Anonymous said...

How fun. I hope that with our kids too. I love snuggling in bed with Molly......even when I'm upset that she's still awake.

The Starbuck Family said...

Your kids are so lucky to have a mom like you. My kids love it too when we take time to "really talk". I love it when they open up and share their little secrets and special feelings. I hope they will always want to.

Jennifer said...

So we have been having "friend" problems at school this year. I am courious about what you tell your kids about how to be popular. Do share. What ever I am saying in "our" talks isn't working.