Johnson Family

Johnson Family

February 12, 2011

Little things

kids 

Emily is usually COMPLETELY annoyed with her pants waistband.  She is so sensitive that if something is the least bit out of place she can feel it.  Yesterday morning her ‘pants situation’ lead her to crumple onto the floor in frustration. (This is frequent.)  Unsure what to do I said, “Emily, what can I do about it?  Do you need new pants?  Do you need new underwear?  Does something need to be tucked, folded, pulled, or loosened?”  “No, she said.  I’ve tried all that.”   “Then,” I said, “I guess all we can do is pray.”   She looked up and said, “Mom, I like that idea.”  A few minutes later we were gathered for morning Family Prayer and Emily prayed that her “underwear would stay in the right place all day.”  After the prayer she looked up a little embarrassed, but no one laughed.   I assured her that there is nothing too small or silly to pray about.  Heavenly Father was definitely NOT giggling right now because you said the word ‘underwear’ in your prayer.  (That made them giggle.)  Whatever is important to you is important to Heavenly Father.

Isn’t that wonderful?  I used to feel badly asking for things because they seem so small compared to the trials of others.   But I know that he cares for our individual wants and needs just as he loves us all individually.  He cares about the tooth fairy coming for Megan and the dryer being fixed for me, and for happy faces to be found for Luke and for underwear staying in place for Emily.   And they did stay in place… the whole day long… which she told me later that night with a smile.  I’m so glad, Emily.  I hope you always remember it.

6 comments:

Ang said...

so sweet! and I totally agree! I once prayed that my bus driver would have to stop and use the bathroom so I wouldn't miss the bus and he totally did. It was like a miracle!

Shelley said...

So precious! I know that prayer works too! I prayed that I would be okay on my flight to and from Germany and Heavenly Father totally blessed me so that I felt good on the airplane. That helped me to have a wonderful time there with your family!

Lindsey said...

What a sweet story. I love that emotional little Emmy. She reminds me of me!

Elisa said...

That really is darling. I love hearing my girl's prayers now.

Geneva said...

I don't know how you all got through that prayer with out giggling. We would have definitely giggled. You guys make me giggle!

Ash said...

Such a sweet and funny story!