Johnson Family

Johnson Family

January 29, 2013

The Bishop takes up Racquetball

I thought this email was too funny – I just had to add it.  President Tillet, our former Bishop, sent the following email to some of the deployed men in our ward about Chris picking up racquetball.  Pretty funny…

“I thought it might be fun to give you a report on how our new bishop is doing...at racquetball! Steve, the bishop, and I played on Monday morning and I believe it was the bishop's first time on a r-ball court. Steve gave him a brief run-down on the rules of the game and then we just went and threw him in the deep end. Steve and I were pretty convinced that we would just run him around, trusting that old age and treachery would easily overcome his youth and inexperience. Besides, we've seen some other bishops play and they were never very impressive. There were, it seems, a few things that we did not consider. First is that unlike some other bishops you might have known, this bishop is young...I mean really young! The way the guy moves, you'd think he was 18 or so! Oh, and like some young people, he has a strong penchant for learning. It eventually got so bad that I stopped trying to make good shots because every good shot I made was soon used by that teen-aged bishop against Steve and I. Second is that this new bishop seems to have, surprise of surprises, athletic ability. Some people just seem to immediately adjust to having a racquet or a bat in their hand and it soon acts like an extension of their body. There are few things more humbling that playing against someone with athletic ability! Third is that this new bishop, in stark contrast to some previous bishops, is TALL, LONG, and has a wingspan of 3 meters (approximately). How, I ask, how are you supposed to do a passing shot on a guy that can practically stand in the middle of the court and touch both side walls? Forth, and lastly, this bishop, in comparison with some other bishops, is cheerful and friendly. There were no tantrums, no outbursts, no outward signs of frustration to let us know that we were getting into his head. He does have a nice laugh, though. : ) Well as you can see, it seems that our new bishop is practically perfect!  And I'm not just sayin' that because I won one of those games yesterday. It was actually quite a bit of fun playin' all together. We laughed and joked and even got a bit of exercise. It makes me think of just how much fun we are likely to have once the two of you are back. Oh, we never did get to any stake business. Guess we were having too much fun!”

No comments: