Johnson Family

Johnson Family

January 29, 2009

How come I didn't think of this?

A couple of Saturdays ago the kids and I were working together on 'family jobs'. They were anxious to finish so they could go play, so they quickly finished their assignments and I 'dismissed' them to go their way.

A little while later I could hear sounds from the kitchen that puzzled me. I walked in to find Katie and Emily cleaning the windows, and wiping the kitchen table. 'What is going on here?' I asked both puzzled and pleased. With smiles they said in unison, "We're playing Orphanage!" Then Katie added, "Ya, Mom do you want to play? You could be the mean lady at the Orphanage that tells us what to do!"

In my head I'm thinking... 'How on earth is this different from what we were doing this morning? I just was a mean lady telling you what to do.' But then I thought, 'This is brilliant' and 'How come I didn't think of this???'

So now we play Orphanage every so often. Yesterday when the kids came home from school I immediately assigned some jobs. "Mom, just wait... we'll play orphanage and then we'll do it." 'Oh, they just need a few minutes to get into character,' I thought as they climbed under the dining room table and pretended to wake up from their poor night's sleep. 'I guess I'll try to do the same! ; )

9 comments:

Veronica said...

This is one of the funniest things I've heard! My kids love "Annie" so I'll have to keep this one in mind.

Marilee said...

What a great idea! That is HILARIOUS! I think we might be playing "Orphanage" today after school! Too funny!

Lindsey said...

That cracks me up. I'll definitely put that in my "list of ideas for when Haylee is older" file.

Reiko said...

Doesn't every mom know this trick? I would give Haley a scrub brush and while taking a bath she'd go to work on the tub singing "it's a hard knock life" loving every minute. It didn't ever work on the boys though...

The Seaquist Family said...

So that is what I need to do? Guess I should have them watch Annie first. It would probably help. How funny your kids are.

The Starbuck Family said...

This is fabulous. I am definately trying this with my kids!

Jamie C. said...

Since I was scared of "the mean lady" way late into my childhood, I have not let Gabs watch Annie yet. I don't think we'll get to play orphanage until she's like 12. Your girls take after you...already making cleaning games. So cute.
P.S. I thought Megan was going on vacation too!

Anonymous said...

That's halarious. Can't wait to use that one. Do you have the movie Annie? I want to get it for Molly. Only a week and a half!

The Harper Family said...

I LOVE it!

If the boys knew what an orphanage was.... :)

I nominated your blog for an award! Go see mine to find out!