Megan will be starting Pre-K in two days. Georgia has an all-day preschool program funded by the Georgia Lottery. It's in our Elementary school right down the hall from Emily's all day Kindergarten class room last year. The two Pre-K classes have tree houses, full play kitchens, giant alphabets, great teachers, cute daily schedules posted to the wall (complete with nap time)... and looks like any 'bored at home' 4 year old's dream! Back in March we filled out an application knowing full well that these slots were highly sought after and hard to get... we just didn't know how hard. Turns out there were over 400 kids seeking 40 slots. That can't be right! And how do they decide who gets in? Lottery, of course.
In May we received the acceptance letter. We told her about Pre-K for the first time and she looked at us with a contemplating look. I added, "you'll get your very own new backpack" and that's all it took. Since then she's seen the classroom and it's been the talk of the whole summer... going to Pre-K, new clothes for Pre-K, being big enough to ride the bus home with the kids... and every time we talk about it she beams a "I'm a big girl" smile. How exciting.
Megan and I have had some cute conversations lately. Last week I pulled her up onto my lap and said... 'Megan, I'm going to miss you so much when you're at Pre-K' throwing in some fake and obnoxious crying sounds for effect. She looked at me and said, "Mom, you are making me cry." and sure enough her eyes were watering. I cut back on the dramatics and asked "Megan, what am I going to do without you?" Not thinking for one second that this was a rhetorical question she started in with her list...
- feed Matthew... more than just once while I'm gone
- play cars with Luke
- make lunch for you and Lukey
- blog on your blog
- put the boys to bed for a nap so you don't have to take care of anyone (Believe me, this one I didn't need help with)
Then she added, "Mom, can't you think of anything?" I'll try hard.
The other day I started up another conversation. "Megan, do you really want to go to Pre-K? Wouldn't you rather stay at home with me and do jobs?" "No mom. It's going to be fine." she reassured me. "Maybe your teacher is going to be a witch with a black pointy hat... or a pirate with a sharp curvy hook?" I said with big eyes. "Mom, all teachers are nice. It's going to be ok." "Alright..." I said reluctantly. "If you're sure."
Megan, I guess you're ready for Pre-K.
6 comments:
So wish we had a program like that around here!
Sure, rub it in!
JK :) (not really)
Megan is so cute and so big. I am glad that she is able to reassure you that you will be ok Lisa.
You are totally going to miss each other! She is getting so big, and this will make her grow up even faster. What a cutie she is!
What a sweetheart! I hope you can handle having only two kids at home:)
What a doll. How fast they grow up!
Post a Comment