Johnson Family

Johnson Family

June 21, 2011

Mom’s 60th Birthday

For my Mom’s 60th Birthday, we decided we’d bombard our Family Facebook page with 60 memories of Mom.  We did the same thing for my Dad in booklet form {here}… but this time we thought it would be fun to write it out online and enjoy all the memories together.  Throughout the day siblings and spouses hopped on Facebook and wrote in our memories and then commented on each other’s.  Brian emailed his memories on his p-day and I added them as well.   It was so much fun.  I think I had over 150 emails throughout the day alerting me to new  messages and comments.  Lots of fun remembering and doing it together was even better…. especially with Mom’s comments as well.    Happy Birthday, Mom.  I love you!

60 Memories of Mom

1.  Mike says… I remember as a means of retaliation you would called me “little rat” or “rapscallion” while you slowly walked toward me with your pointer fingers wind milling in circles, as if to throw off my elbow defenses, before going in for a poke at my stomach.    (Mike Walton)

2.  Amy says…  I remember you coming to every girls camp I went to. You were my leader for the first one and we were the Dazzling Daisy Ducks. I just loved having you involved in YW while I was in there. You were such a great leader. In fact, I have always been inspired by how you fulfill your callings. Thank you so much for setting a pattern of faithful service for me to follow. 

    • Lisa Johnson I loved it when you were at girls camp with me. I can't wait to go with Katie... maybe next year!
    • Mary Walton likes this.

3. Ryan says… I remember picking blueberries with you in your back yard.  That was fun.

4. Scott says… I remember you working so hard all year long to prepare for the big craft sale, then turning around immediately after and sending the proceeds to me so I could pay tuition. This happened more than once. Thank you again!

    • Dan Walton Yes, I remember friends coming over, seeing rows and rows of painted wooden crafts and saying, "I think maybe your mom is over-decorating a little."
    • Mary Walton Oh, that is funny.

5.  Sarah says… I remember Easter last year . . . . James was 5 days old and you had come to Ohio to help with the kids. It was also Conference Weekend, and we watched conference and held baby James while the girls colored on the floor. You made homemade cinnamon rolls for breakfast which were delish. And we made Easter dinner without any meat . . . . just all the yummy sides! haha. It was so relaxing, and I just remember being so happy you were there with our little family. I know you were a little exhausted by the end of that trip from playing nonstop with the girls . . . . just thanks for being such a wonderful grandmother and mother-in-law!

6.  Amy says… Ok. This is one that I witnessed so it doesn't count as mine, but I can't remember if it was Dan or Scott that it happened to. I remember we were all sitting down for a snack of peanut butter and honey on soda crackers. One of those boys was whining that mom had taken his cracker and held out his hand for her to return it... which she did, honey side down in the palm of his hand. It was hilarious and I thought she was the coolest.

    • Scott Walton Wasn't me. I would never have done something to deserve that.
    • Dan Walton I didn't even like those crackers, so I wouldn't have wanted it back. I also never whine.
    • Mary Walton I don't remember that, but if you think I was the coolest, then something worked! I like to think I did that.

7.  Lisa says…  Mom, I remember one of the times you flew out to Maryland to visit us over Easter. You sewed baby Katie her first pink gingham Easter dress. I still treasure that little dress. I've always admired your amazing sewing talent!!

    • Christopher Johnson  Thanks for making those visits such a priority, no matter how far away we live. We can't wait to see you in September.
    • Mary Walton I've always wished the visits were more often, but are always treasured time when we do get there. Can't wait, too.

8.  Mike says…  I remember sometimes walking home from Kindergarten by myself. One time I spent a long time making tunnels in the snow with my mitts, and I must have been playing a long time because when I got home you were waiting by the carport door and hugged me when I came in. You were teary eyed and said you were really worried about me, and it's one of the first events I can recall where I knew you really cared about my safety.

9. Dan says… I remember at a very young age going with you to the church for your aerobics classes. It's a little hazy, but I seem to remember leg warmers, stirrup pants and Tina Turner. You have always been good at exercising and staying in shape.

    • Amy Walton Silva I also remember aerobics at home and random folk dancing in the kitchen.
    • Mike Walton I do as well. I remember moving side to side with my hands on my knees and feet securely planted. I remember those blue folding mats and the carpeted gym of the 140th street building.
    • Mary Walton Yep aerobics to "What's Love Got to do with It"!

10. Annie says… "I remember Grandma always making sugar cookies with us!"

    • Mary Walton I remember that too and that was so much fun! Let's do it again.

11. Chris Silva says… This is not too long ago, but I remember spending post-Christmas and New Year's week with Mary and the rest of the family. I was a little sick for that trip and I was introduced to the oregano oil that stayed on your palette for the rest of the day. While I didn't really love that solution, it was so nice that she was always so motherly with me while I was feeling under the weather and she put her cocoa motion to good use and I knew I could count on that to soothe the cough and sore throat that I was coping with at the time. Thanks, Mary! And thanks makers of cocoa motion!

12. Mike says… I remember the time you told me to be careful when Jon Layton and I went out to go toilet paper someone’s house.

    • Lisa Johnson Were you careful?
    • Mike Walton Haha, not careful enough. The lady who's house we toilet papered got us back that very night! And she got us twice as good as we got her!! We were so surprised.
    • Mary Walton Who was that?
    • Mike Walton Sister Grier. sp?
    • Mike Walton No wait, Sister Wheeler.
    • Mary Walton I just talked to her the other night, and she asked about you and Brian. She loves you guys.
    • Mike Walton That's nice to hear.

13.  Scott says… I remember coming home from school to freshly baked cookies…only to find out they were for some other family in the ward, not for us.

    • Mary Walton That didn't happen as often as it should have.

14. Brian says... I remember eating lunches together in Mercana.

    • Mary Walton That may happen again.....I just heard at work today they might be wanting to use you for some warehouse work.

15. Dan says… I remember countless delicious homemade meals together as a family, and you making your best effort to get all of us to eat every variety of vegetable. I also remember sitting defiantly at the table with a mouthful of peas long after the dishes were cleared and everyone else had left. It may have even worked, too, because I kind of like peas now. You are a great cook and fed us well. Thanks!

    • Mike Walton I remember doing that too, and now I like peas. I see a pattern here. Dad, did Grandma make you sit at the table with peas in your mouth too?
    • Sarah Cole Walton And you still feed us all well when we come to visit . . . . especially with your amazing homemade pies!!!
    • Mary Walton Maybe I should have served mushrooms more often and you would like those now too!

16.  Scott says… I remember you driving Dan and I on our paper routes. Sometimes it was raining out, but most of the time you were just really nice.

    • Dan Walton Oh man, that must have been miserable waking up to us knocking on your door at 5:00 in the morning and hearing rain outside. Thanks for teaching us the value of work!
    • Mary Walton That was definitely rough sometimes. It was easier in the afternoons.

17. Leah says…. "I remember when you took us sledding down the hill at Christmas time!"

18.  Chris Silva says… I remember my first visit out to Vancouver. Not only was I quickly introduced to Canada's vast array of flavored potato chips, but also Mary's pies. Now it's an expectation to have at least one or a dozen every time I visit out there, but the thing I remember the most was her formidable bocci skills. I kept hoping she would be the weak link in the Patriarch and Matriarch Walton pairing, but she held up her end of the team as they creamed both Amy and I that day in our intensive bocci face-off. I'm still burning from that one...

    • Mary Walton Sorry, Chris....but that was just too fun. You will soon learn that it won't always be like that.
    • Mary Walton And I better get making some more pies...even if Dad can't eat them.

19.  Foster says: “Grandma likes to play." We'll call that a memory.

19. Dan says… I don't remember arguing, a raised voice or harsh reprimand. I do remember patience, encouragement, and gentle reminders.

20.  Brian says... I remember going with you to take pictures of houses. Especially the time we went to that epic garden and read Harry Potter 5. I even remember that we read about Hagrid and the giants.

    • Mike Walton This was one of mine as well. I remember being your copilot while you took pictures of houses for Atkinson and Terry. I remember always wanting to have a Micro Machine or toy airplane with me for the ride. I also remember you trying to make the same sound effects I would make, but falling a little short.
    • Mary Walton And you guys laughing your heads off at me.

21.  Sarah says… I remember looking for a wooden sign that said, "I love you to the moon and back" for Leah's room when she was a baby. I couldn't find one I liked, so you surprised me by making me one. I LOVED it . . . . it was absolutely perfect, and it's still in the girls' room. You've always been a very thoughtful gift giver!

22. Amy says… I remember the days when we came home for lunch from elementary school and you had made bread that day and had left over dough for fry bread for lunch. That was the best!

    • Lisa Johnson It's so crazy to think that we would walk home for lunch! I loved that we did that.
    • Scott Walton I love fried bread!!! Elisha made that for us once, until she realized it was like eating donuts for dinner. I know what I want for my birthday dinner
    • Dan Walton That's why it's so good Scott
    • Sarah Cole Walton Dan is the fried bread master at our house . . . . the kids (and me) love when he makes it
    • Mike Walton That was the best! Butter... honey... cinnamon sugar... mmmm mmm.
    • Mary Walton Maybe I should make that for my birthday dinner. That's a tradition passed on from Grandma Polley.

23.  Lisa says… I remember you helping me study for a seventh grade social studies test. You helped me remember the answers by making up the funniest stuff. We got the giggles so hard... but I totally remembered it all for the test. I think of funny analogies to help me remember things all the time now!

    • Scott Walton I remember always wanting mom to quiz me after studying. I always did better when she helped...except with French...nothing helped with French
    • Mike Walton Je détestais le français! (That's all I remember from my French class.)
    • Scott Walton I think I understood that! Maybe mom's help really did pay off!
    • Mary Walton It wasn't my help.....I didn't even understand what Mike wrote

24. Emily says… I remember for my seventh birthday I opened up my card from you and money fell out and surprised me.  Then when it was my eighth birthday I opened my card and I saw the money but pretended I didn’t so that it was the same as last year.  I love the money that you give me on my birthdays!! 

 25.  Dan says… I remember that the best way to wake up Saturday morning is with a rousing chorus of "Rise and shout!"

    • Scott Walton My children will someday wake up to the same blessed anthem in their sleepy ears!
    • Mike Walton Be sure to explain where that song actually comes from. I was so confused when I heard the fans singing it for the first time.
    • Lisa Johnson That's funny.
    • Mary Walton That would please me greatly to have that passed down to the next generation.

26.  Molly says… "I remember when Grandma came and stayed the night with us"

27.  Amy says… I remember how you tailored my whole wardrobe with your mad sewing skills. Remember the green pineapple shorts with matching top? Or the yellow dress with tulip buttons? (Seriously one of my all-time favorites) or best of all, the peach and black leopard print spandex leotard I wore for gym-strip? The other second graders just didn’t understand real 80’s fashion.

    • Lisa Johnson Whoa, I missed out on the spandex. I want to see a picture.
    • Scott Walton I still remember some of the patterns on those "wild" shorts. Also, I owe mom a huge thank you for preventing a huge fashion disaster that I may never have recovered from. When spandex was all the rage in the late 80's, mom and I went to ...Zellers to find me some sweet spandex shorts. When I came out of the dressing room with my spandex shorts flapping in the breeze and tooth-pick legs below, mom quickly realized that maybe spandex wasn't for me. Thank you!!!
    • Dan Walton I agree with Lisa. We need a picture.
    • Lisa Johnson My favorite outfit was my blue stirrup pants with my white button up shirt that had colored pencils all over it... plus beads. It was rad. Thanks mom.
    • Christopher Johnson I have no memories of spandex, but my imagination has taken over. I can see Scott now
    • Elisha Aldred Walton where are those patterns when we need them now? Thank you Mary for not allowing Scott to be made fun of
    • Mike Walton I can't say I ever went shopping for spandex with you, but I remember all the shopping trips where you'd help me pick out clothes. Your opinion always mattered, even if it might have been embarrassing at the time. http://www.youtube.com/wat​ch?v=T1o4zGls4AA#t=7m41s (the next 20 seconds of the clip show what I'm talking about
    • Dan Walton I never had the spandex either, but I seem to remember mike with some. Someone must have some photos handy
    • Scott Walton My mental image is of mike in his spandex shorts with his over-sized ducks jersey on top...I'm with Dan, there must be a picture out there
    • Mike Walton What? No way, you're not going to find a picture because it never happened.
    • Lisa Johnson Mike, that clip is funny... "Attention shoppers..." Good thing we have mom's to point these things out
    • Amy Walton Silva hahaha. Chris and I have the entire Wonder Years series right now. We just started the first season. Still funny.
    • Mary Walton Oh my goodness...that was hilarious to read! I'll have to look and see if I can find a picture. Crazy embarrassing fashion fads!

28. Chris Johnson says… I remember you showed up for our Walton Disney  Trip of a Lifetime with matching Disney shirts for all the grandkids.   You’re such a great grandma.

29.  Amy says… I remember one or two Sunday afternoons bringing you a pencil and paper and asking you to sketch me. You were such a talented artist and I wanted to be just like you.

    • Mike Walton Amy, you made me think of another one. I remember several times trying to get the correct shape of something I was drawing and eventually asking you (Mom) for help. You would draw it perfectly on your first try and it always made me laugh and I would say, "how did you do that?!" I'm pretty sure you responded with a profound and unforgettable statement
    • Mary Walton Now all of you are better than me at the artistic stuff!

30.  Scott says… I remember you getting nervous enough for the whole family for Canucks playoff games….wait, that was just last week!

31.  Lisa says… I remember sitting on your bed and listening to you read 'parts' from your college journal. I loved that one on one time... and have learned from that to be open with my kids and help them envision their futures. Thanks.

32.  BRIAN says... I remember you and I watching Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back, the night before I went in to the MTC.

33.  Mike says…  I remember trips to Atkinson and Terry to visit Dad in his office. I remember walking through Delta Shopper’s Mall and telling you that you needed to have another baby so you wouldn’t be lonely when I went to school.

34.  Chris Johnson… I remember you being there for Katie's birth. Lisa's water broke at home and she kept saying, "It's coming out". I came running in expecting to see the baby's head coming out. You and Lisa got the giggles and couldn't stop laughing.

35.  Scott says… I remember you driving us up to go skiing and picking us up at the end of the day. I'm sure that was the last thing you wanted to do with your whole day.

    • Dan Walton That was like 2 hours on either end! Thanks to you too, dad. I remember you doing it as well.
    • Mary Walton You will have your turn to do just the same.....it comes with the territory.

36.  Dan says…  I remember being excited for Sunday afternoons to continue listening to the adventures of Jim Hawkins and his tennis shoes while rubbing your shoulders or playing with your hair. That shoulder rubbing also helped get me through a lot of required reading for school and several last minute computer-typed reports. You were always quick to return the favor, too.

37.  Lisa says… I remember when you picked me up in Seattle after my first semester in college and I was so excited to tell you every detail of my college experience. I've always been able to tell you everything. Thanks for being so great to talk to!

38.  Brian says... I remember playing wii doctor mario with you, and you ALMOST always beating me. I also remember many nights of watching "24", "Alias", "the office", and "Lost" together.

39. Katie says…  I remember when you sewed me a dress for my eighth birthday.  I love that you have sewn things for me a lot.  I remember watching you make dinner in Canada and helping you set the table.

40.   Amy says… I remember seriously intense Dr. Mario competitions. You were by far the best opponent (probably still are).

    • Mary Walton That was so much fun!  I can’t believe we didn’t play any at Christmas time.  And YOU were the best!!

41.  Mike says… I remember coming home after school and complaining to you about whatever happened that day. Even though it must have been the same thing over and over, you always listened and made me feel important. 

    • Mary Walton Yes, you would closely follow me around the kitchen as I was making dinner, and then I would tell you that you could keep talking, but just stay in one place. I could still hear just fine.
    • Mike Walton Haha, that's funny. I forgot about that part.
    • Lisa Johnson Oh, that makes me laugh.

42.  Elisha says… I remember being in need of help after baby births and surgeries and you came at a moments notice to help. You are a great example of putting others before yourself and I thank you for that. Happy Birthday

43.  Megan says… “I remember that I went to Canada with you and that I had fun at your house and that we saw the Olympics… and I miss you so much and love you.”

44.  Dan say… I remember sitting nervously next to mom through endless piano festivals, and having her there to share my shock and excitement over a first place award. I also remember the McDonalds sundae that would follow. Thanks for supporting me, mom.

    • Mary Walton And the guy that got second also came to McDonalds with his mom and he wasn't very happy about being second.

45.  Scott says…  I remember playing badminton with you at the church while Lisa was at early morning seminary. Thanks for letting me win. Happy Birthday Mom, I hope you have a great day!

    • Mary Walton I remember about that time we were evenly matched...but it didn't last long. I had to move down the line to the next kid....over and over.

46.  Amy says… I remember one summer when I got completely fried at Splashdown Park. I was so burned I couldn’t move or sleep. You gently rubbed aloe on me through the night and I was so grateful.

47.  Lisa says… I remember when I had my 8th birthday party with friends and you told us to make 'silly faces' with our vegetables and chips and food. I remember thinking you were so creative and fun.

48.  Dan says…  I too remember driving with you, navigating our way through the greater Vancouver area to help take pictures for A&T, not because you needed my help, but because you wanted my company. I enjoyed our one on one time.

49.  Scott says…  I remember you leading morning scripture study in the Book of Mormon. I don’t remember much of what we read, but I remember it was important enough to do. Thank you for your dedication to a difficult task.

    • Lisa Johnson likes this.

50.  Lisa says… I remember walking around the block and down to the park with a wagon and a cooler and popsicles and a 35cent sign and a bell. Seriously, the amount of work you went to help us earn money AND learn how to appreciate working for it. I can't thank you enough.

    • Scott Walton Don't forget selling suckers at school...I don't we would get away with that these days.
    • Dan Walton ‎"Popsicles! Popsicles for sale!". That bell must have been so annoying.
    • Scott Walton I think people paid us just to shut up
    • Mike Walton Yeah, I remember you teaching me how to make hard candy suckers so I could sell them at school. I remember that you did a lot of the work.
    • Lisa Johnson I was so popular because of those suckers
    • Mike Walton Me too, even some of the teachers were regulars
    • Dan Walton I seriously remember being surrounded by crowds of people. Didn't they make us stop because it was becoming too distracting
    • Mike Walton Yep, that's what I remember happening. I even had to go in and talk with Dr. Harper, the principal of Hellings. She may have just wanted to know if I was lacing the suckers with drugs.

51.  Dan says…  I remember helping you sponge paint the family room when we scrambled to redecorate while dad was away. It was a fun "extreme makeover" project that I felt a part of. You were always there taking part in (or directing) every major renovation in the house.

    • Elisha Aldred Walton Now I know where my husband gets it drive for "projects". Thanks for that example Mary.
    • Mary Walton You were totally apart of that. I valued your artistic opinion. That was so much fun.

52.  Brian says... I remember when we played Mad Gab as a family, and you guessed, "I'm a Jew hater!"

53.  Amy says…  Mom, I just wanted to thank you for teaching me sound business principles by making cookies that Mike and I would take, and then sell back to family members from the “cookie shop” we set up in our room. We really learned how to make a profit!

    • Dan Walton Amy, you made money off of us? It was all one big cycle, though, since we just borrowed the money from dad's coin tray anyway. But I guess that's not a cycle, more of a funneling towards the kids
    • Mike Walton Funny Amy, I don't remember actually seeing any of that money
    • Amy Walton Silva I think you were paid in cookies, Mike
    • Mike Walton Amy, I remember you saying those were for the customers

54.   Brian says…  I remember when you shared with me how you got your testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ. You shared how in you collage days you heard an apostle or seventy or something, speak about how they had never not had a testimony. I too feel that way. You sharing your experience and testimony was a step for me in realizing that.

55.  Mike says… I remember making trips down to the states to get Milk, Cheese, and Neccos. We would listen to the oldies on CISL 650. Coming home you always want to play the “guess what flavor this is” game with the Neccos.

56.  Elisha says… I remember you running to get the camera that David sent with you to document all that he missed. You are so dedicated to your husband and children's request! Thank you for loving everyone the way you do!

57.  Brian says... I remember when, as a child, I was preparing a talk and expressed to you my nervousness. You asked why I was nervous or something like that, and I said, "everyone will be staring at me. You said, "No. If they were staring at you they would be doing this..." Then you gave me a fierce death look that has scarred my memory ever since.

58.  Lisa says… I remember watching Little House on the Prairie with you in the family room every day after school  at 4:00. I'd fold laundry sometimes. You'd always being sitting at your sewing table or ironing. We'd both get distracted and just end up watching. Thanks for teaching me to cry at all the happy parts.

59.  Luke say… “I remember when we see Grandma on the ‘puter’.  I love Grandma”

60.  Brian says... I remember one time, you and I were driving home from somewhere, and as we were driving near Krispy Kreme Donuts, I said, "Ooh mom, can we..." then I thought about it, and said "...never mind. I already know the answer." You then asked, "what?" Then I said, "I was just going to ask if we could get donuts" You then, with a notably vigorous loving spite, turned into the parking lot to get some donuts! Happy Birthday Mom.

    • Mary Walton Wow, this is such a treasure!!! so fun to read all the interactions ....so wonderful!! Thank you so much.  I love you all so much!!

 ** One of our facebook posts had this picture attached: “Mom, Here is your birthday present from all the kids. Happy Birthday!! We Love you!”wicked tickets Mary Walton YEA!!!!! I'm so excited!!! Thank you!

2 comments:

David and Mary Walton said...

Wow, what alot of work to get that all on here!! It is so fun to read again! Thank you all again.

The Starbuck Family said...

Lisa,
I have only met your mom a couple of times, but I loved reading this. I know it's mostly for your own family history, but thanks for posting it for all to read. You are such an amazing friend, and now I can see the person who taught you to be so amazing. What a wonderful person your mother is. I have always admired your close knit family and relationship you foster with your own kids-it is neat to see that is exactly how dedicated your own mom was to that same thing. Thanks for sharing! Love ya!