Johnson Family

Johnson Family

January 31, 2012

January at a glance…

I can’t believe how quickly that ‘empty January month’ filled up.  A few more highlights…

Date Nights – Chris and I enjoyed our date night to Mission Impossible at the beginning of the month.  Great movie.  We also watched spent a couple nights watching the Sherlock Holmes series on BBC… just 3 episodes.  We have the next season’s 3 episodes to watch still.  It’s modern day Sherlock Holmes.  We liked it a lot.

Emily cooking classes – I spent two Thursday afternoons cooking with Emily.  She actually helped out in the kitchen more than that… but these were our planned out cooking sessions using all her new supplies – just her and I.  We made potato and onion soup the first day and then she invited over a friend, Ally to help make homemade cookies for the second day.  I love that she loves to be in the kitchen helping me.  Next, a full dinner. 

Katie photography classes – Katie and I went out once to talk about photography and take some pictures but it didn’t last long.  It’s just too cold.   More photography sessions to come.

RS groups – Our RS has a lot of groups going on and I although I don’t make it to everything I sure hate to miss out on all the fun girl time.  This month I went to Recipe Club (theme: healthy stuff – I took homemade salsa) at Yvonne’s house and chatted till 10:00.  I also went to the RS ‘get to know you’ night where we played funny games.  Oh, and I went to craft group one Wednesday morning and took my laptop with me to go through pictures.  Fun.

Secret Garden Play – I took Ryan, Katie and Emily to go see Ryan’s buddy perform in the Secret Garden musical.  It was fun to be there to support him and see so many of our friends there too. 

3 Birthday Parties – Luke went to Josh Chugg’s pirate party, Megan went to Naomi’s Jungle party and Ryan went to Abby’s 13 year old ice skating party. 

Megan’s experience with the Spirit at Brooklyn’s baptism – I took Katie, Emily, Megan and Matthew to Brooklyn’s baptism one Saturday night.  The girls sang in the program and did a great job.  After the baptism Megan said to me… “Mom, when Brooklyn got baptized I felt a very happy feeling when she went under the water even though I wasn’t even the one getting baptized.”  She was very serious and tender.  We talked about how she had just had an experience with the Spirit and she was so excited about it.  She came home excited to tell Ryan and Dad all about it.  In Sacrament meeting the next day she wrote her ‘testimony’ down on piece of paper and then went and found the Bishop after church to show him.  He was very happy about it and it just thrilled her.  I think it really makes her feel like a big girl to have had an experience like this of her own.  Love that girl.  She’s a sweetheart.

Youth Standards Night – Ryan and I drove an hour to the Stake Center for Youth Standards Night.  The focus was on the Entertainment and the Media including the Internet.  It was great.  Plus we listened to part of Gene R. Cook’s talk ‘13 lines of Defense’ which led to some great discussions.  Love that Ryan boy.  He’s a good kid.  Got to visit with Geneva for a while too – fun to be in the same stake!!

Fondant Lesson – Megan G. and I got Fondant Lessons from Emma one morning this week.  Fun to learn something new… we’ll see if and when I try it out myself.  So nice to have time with good friends.

Zumba Class – a military gal leads Zumba classes at our church a couple times a month.  I took some toys for my boys to play with in the corner and gave it a try.  Totally fun.  Must go again.  I’m trying to be good about exercising – some weeks better than others – but Chris is doing great.  Nice to be motivated together.  We went to the gym together once which was so fun!

Frankfurt Temple trip – We drove up to the temple with our friends, the Boyers.  (he’s the other bishopric member with Chris).   Fun to chat with them on the drive.   The temple has 8:00pm English sessions on the Friday night before our Stake Temple day so we took advantage.    I’m still overwhelmed by the sweet love shown to me by the German sisters who work there.  Even though we don’t speak the same language I can feel their spirit so strongly.  I love that about the Temple.   I also love that Chris and I were able to experience some parts of the session with a German speaking something and us replying in English.  Very unique.

Girls lunch – I met Geneva and Stephanie at the craft store on base to do some fun fabric shopping.  Then they came over for Tortilla Avocado Cream Soup and chatting.  So fun.  I picked up my framed Florence picture!!  Love it, now where to put it?

New calling – I’ve been released from Visiting Teaching Supervisor (which I really enjoyed) and got put into YOUNG WOMEN’s again.  Yeah!!!  I’ve probably been in the Young Women’s Program for 10 years out of my 16 years of marriage – and I love it, especially since Katie will be coming in in JULY!!   I’m the Personal Progress Leader AND Camp Director!!  So fun!

2 comments:

Amy Silva said...

Well, you kind of rock at your Young Women's callings so I'm not surprised. That will be so fun to be in there with Katie.

David and Mary Walton said...

Loved to read all your synopsis...even if I knew most of it, it is a great journal. I need to do more of that.