Well, I ‘borrowed’ my new WORD OF THE YEAR from someone else – just like last year. I can’t help it – I’ve always been a good copier. And when I saw it, I knew it was exactly what I needed…
Last year I had a page full of worthy goals. A serious page full, broken up into multiple categories. I posted them by my computer. I read them often. And when I read over them now I really didn’t do too bad… on SOME things. Others were somewhat neglected. Really my goals for this year are mostly the same, but now I have a plan.
This year I’ve decided to really FOCUS on one thing each month. A MAIN goal that I put my heart and soul into. Anything else that gets accomplished is just a bonus. For January it was: reading the Book of Mormon every day. I really focused on it, and I did it… EVERY DAY and hopefully it’s a solid habit I’ll continue throughout the year. Early in our marriage Chris and I went for over three years straight without missing a day of scripture reading, but lately I have not been so consistent.
In October I mentioned to my Visiting Teacher that I struggled with prioritizing my scripture reading and wanted to be better. At the end of our conversation she asked if I would like to be reminded with a phone call or email. I smiled and said whichever was easier. Every single day for over a month she emailed me an inspired quote about the importance of reading your scriptures. I was truly overwhelmed at the dedication my cute friend had, to help me get refocused. I have them all saved in a file and printed some out to go inside my scriptures. I got back on track. Slowly and inconsistently, but with honest desire.
When I decided on this year’s WORD OF THE YEAR, I knew that I should start with Reading my Book of Mormon.
For February I have another goal in mind which will take daily action. I’m excited. I’m hoping the beginning of each month will be a mini New Year’s Day – with all the motivation and FOCUS that goes along with it.
2 comments:
love that idea. maybe with one goal to work on each month it will become a habit and you won't neglect other goals all year. I think I'll copy - I totally love my word but I realized that I overwhelmed myself. I just have too much to work on! I love a new year....setting goals and getting organized again!
Have you read The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin? She's not LDS, but it's a great book where she writes about her experiences trying to improve and focus on one aspect of her life each month for a year. You should read it. Oh, and would you email me that list of scripture reading quotes your visiting teacher gave you??
Post a Comment