Johnson Family

Johnson Family

May 24, 2012

Ballroom Soiree

Wednesday night was the big ‘end of the year’ Ballroom Soiree.   Chris picked the kids up from piano lessons and then dropped Ryan and Katie off at the Village Pavilion where they got dressed and began final rehearsals.   Then he and Emily drove home and we all got ready to go AND… WE ALL DROVE IN THE SAME VAN to the event.   We had just figured out that aside from one date to go eat yummy asparagus in downtown Heidelberg (it’s spargel season!), Chris and I have not driven in the same vehicle since Spring Break.  That was six weeks ago.    It’s been a B U S Y spring and we are counting down the days till some of our extra-curricular activities are DONE for the year but after watching Ryan and Katie perform Chris said, “I don’t want them to stop.  They’re getting so good!”  It is fun to see what all this -driving around in different vehicles to get the kids here and there’ is actually for.

dance11

The Soiree was well done.  It’s in a big ballroom with tables circling the dance floor.   We ate German style sandwiches and finger foods and drinks while we mingled with most of our ward – since LDS kids from our ward make up a large percentage of the ballroom students in each level.  

Ryan (Ballroom 3) performed the Samba, the Salsa, the Foxtrot, the Rumba, the Tango, the Maringa (Ryan’s favorite), the Swing, the Polka, the triple time Swing (Ryan’s other favorite), and their highlight performance which consists of the Rumba and Cha-cha combined.

Katie (Ballroom 2) performed the Samba (Katie’s favorite), the Hustle, the Swing, the Foxtrot, the Waltz, the Polka (Katie’s other favorite), the Tango and their highlight performance which was called MEN IN BLACK and was the Rumba (Katie’s other favorite).

 

Katie dancing away with her Ballroom 2 partners…  She doing the Polka with Tate in that last one. 

dance1 dance2 dance5 

It was kind of torture that Emily and Megan couldn’t just get up and dance as well.  Megan really wanted to.  Early on Chris turned on a movie on his iPad and stuck the boys way off in a corner.  It was funny to look over and see the little boys huddled around while the little girls danced around them.  I know I need a flash so bad.

dance4 dance3

Katie and Dad

dance6

Look at how tall this kid is getting.  Exactly a month until he’s 14!  Chris made a comment about how tall he was so I had to take off my heels to show that he’s actually taller than that.  Of course in the second picture I was barefooted and he has his black dress shoes on – but anyway, he’s a growing boy!

dance7 dance8

Ryan and partners from Ballroom 3…   Hannah (on the right) is Ryan’s Maringa’s partner.  He really likes dancing with her.

dance9 dance10

For the final number all 4 levels of Ballroom performers got on the dance floor to dance the Samba.   Level 1 stopped after they had done what they knew and froze.  Then Level 2 stopped and froze while level 3 and 4 did some more advanced moves and so on.  It was a fun to see them all dancing together.  It was a great program!!

dance11

After all of the performances anyone who wanted to could dance and our kids had not had enough.  1.  There’s Mark (one of Ryan’s best friends – in Katie’s Ballroom class) dancing with Emily.   2. Ryan dancing with Abi (Ballroom 2) and Ryan dancing with Lissie (Ballroom 4).

dance12 dance13 dance19

Ryan dancing with Leah… one of Ryan’s favorite Ballroom partners and good friends – both in level 3.

dance14dance15

Ryan and the girls…

dance16

1.  Katie teaching Megan the polka.           2.  Emily and Matthew dancing and spinning around. 

3. Lissie asking Luke to dance may have been the highlight of Luke’s night. He has a big crush on Lissie, age 17, and has no fear about telling the world. He has told everyone, including her, that he’s going to marry her. He follows her around and talks to her and Lissie happily strings him along.

dance17 dance18 dance20

5 comments:

Shelley said...

So fun! We loved watching the dancing when we were there. Wish we could have seen the final performance. What a great opportunity! Such handsome and pretty dancers!

The Seaquist Family said...

Who would have thought of all the amazing opportunities you would have in Germany of all places. I feel like I am truly in a very small town without many resources right now. Oh and humidity and bugs too. Isn't that nice. Ryan is getting tall! I keep wondering how long it is going to be until Christian passes me! It isn't going to be long.

Dre + Drew - Pacific Northwest Living - DuPont, WA said...

Loved the early morning photos. What a great hour to yourself. What books are you currently reading? Loved Megan's Book Cafe, she looked adorable!! How fun Ballroom dancing, all the hard work, sacrifice and running around does pay off. What fun to see your kids learn the ART of dancing with partners, a talent they will keep with them forever. What great skills they are learning. I cannot even imagine my kiddos ballroom dancing!!!

The Crew said...

Thank heaven for your blog because I would totally forget all the things that I wanted to have my kids try that I just never got to do when I was young! Horseback riding and ballroom dancing! It's so neat to see them doing it too.

David and Mary Walton said...

What a fun night! I love to see them become such rounded people with so many different experiences. I would love to see them dance!