Johnson Family

Johnson Family

September 30, 2007

What's my number?

Yesterday I took all four kids to the craft store. Four kids in a craft store? I know, but I had to so I could use my 40% coupon, be there on 10% off military day AND hit the sale on Bazill paper for 25 cents a sheet. Even if they were all perfectly behaved everyone in the store would still be watching us. What is that lady doing with four kids and so pregnant that she clearly shouldn't even be walking around? Oh well. In the car before we got there I told the kids I would be watching carefully and giving them their 'number'. It's a new parenting tactic I came up with a couple months ago... and it has worked pretty well so far. 10 is really good. 0 is really bad. They are always anxious to find out what their number is and who was the best and worse. Naturally Megan always gets the worst number but is thrilled anyway -- so for her, it doesn't work so well. But is does for my other kids. It's quite the competition. As we got out of the car everyone but Megan was silent with arms folded. Katie got a 9, Ryan got an 8 (just because he kept telling Megan 'shhhhhhh!' and it got a little annoying) and Emily got a 7 (but that was for screaming at the top of her lungs when Megan pulled her hair. Not exactly her fault, but can't she scream out in pain a little quieter!) "Megan you got a 5." "Yeah! a 5!" she squealed back in the car. Maybe she thought I was being generous.

Today after church Emily asked me "What were our numbers for church mom?" I hadn't told them I was going to be giving out numbers but they occasionally ask now. They did really well... all but Megan... another 5... that was for screaming NO to me several times in a row loud enough for everyone to hear... After time out in the RS room, she did better. Anyway... Emily said, "but Mom, what was I in my primary class?" I said, "Emily I don't know. I wasn't in your class. You tell me what your number was." With a surprised face she said, "Mom, you should have looked. I was a 10! I was really a lot of good." It made me laugh. Maybe I should have them start grading themselves from now on. I think Megan might still give herself a 5 and be proud of it!

8 comments:

Elisha and Scott said...

I was proud of myself for running errands by myself with Molly yesterday...I can't imagine doing that with 4 kids...let alone being pregnant! The number thing sounds like a good idea, but Elisha and I will just have to grade eachother until Molly can at least count to 10.

Brian Foster Walton said...

Lisa that is hilarious! Megan is the prime example of being grateful for whatever recieved!

Marilee said...

Hilarious and what a great idea. Lately I've been telling the kids who was the best, the worst and the in between, but I like the number system. I might have to steel it from ya!

Lindsey said...

Sounds like something a teacher might do! Haylee would get a 10 everyday because she is so good!!!

Amy Silva said...

I kind of like the number system. Maybe I'll start giving my dates a number when they drop me off.

The Seaquist Family said...

I love how everyone comments on the number thing and I am cracking up at the visual image, probably because I have lived it. But you have to do what you have to do when it comes to scrapbooking. Plus a Bazzil sale like that - I think I would still go if mine were all screaming the entire time. (which has happened)

Jennifer said...

Lisa this is so funny. I don't think i could ever impliment the program though. Katie would always get a 10 because she is practically perfect in every way. Chase would get a nine or an eight depending on A: how many times he glared at Emily or B: how many times he asked, "are we all done shopping now?" And poor Emily I don't think she ever even make it to a five. My kids are so predictable. I should have named Chase Ryan and then everyone would think you were talking about your own kids and be so confused. HA HA HA!!!!

Jamie C. said...

Lisa, I love stealing parenting tactics from you! I was thinking about your Megan and how Gabs would totally not get it. After the commisary today I turned to her in the car to thank her for being such a good girl and I blurted out "you get 10 stars!" She just stared at me. After the blank look on her face went away she asked if she could open them! Maybe 2 year olds are a little too young for this game! She did however know enough to tell me that Gwen only gets 1!