Johnson Family

Johnson Family

May 12, 2008

priceless memories

The Historic Johnson Farm - Looking back I think our day visiting Kirtland and the Johnson farm was my favorite. It was really neat to walk through the home and think about the lives and faith of these good people and what they gave to the early church. Joseph stayed here for a time in 1831 and it became the headquarters for the church. It definitely made me want to reread the doctrine and covenants and study the sections that Joseph Smith received here. The tour ended in a room where Joseph received sacred revelations. It wasn't long before most of us were reaching for a tissue. There is something special about looking around to see your siblings full of emotion and of course making eye contact made it that much worse. At the end of the tour my Dad was able to make some comments and share his testimony. It was very special... one of those priceless memories that I'll never forget.


Cousins... Megan, Luke, Ryan, Leah, Katie, Molly, Emily and Annie

The Kirtland Temple - After the Johnson farm we drove from Hiram over to Kirtland to see the temple. We watched a movie in the 'Community of Christ' visitor center and then walked through the temple. So much history, so much sacrifice. It was neat to share with our kids the amazing things that happened here.

Newel K Whitney Store and town - Katie had just turned one the last time Chris and I visited Kirtland and the church has added so much more since then. Now there is a cute little town with houses, buildings and a mill surrounding The Newel K. Whitney store. The visitors center is amazing, the video presentation is uplifting and well done and the missionary couple were great... especially since we arrived just before closing and they stayed late to show us all around. The store's upstairs 'school of the prophets' room was another priceless and tearful memory. What a great day!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that was my favorite day too. Very special. Good choice of pictures seeing there are soooo many good ones to choose from.

The Seaquist Family said...

How beautiful. I have always wanted to go to Kirkland, but my family went without me when I was a teenager (I had flown out to NY to be in the Hill Cumorah Pageant). Guess I can't complain, but I feel like I missed out...one day I'll get there.

Jennifer said...

How neat to have a pioneer heritage. I love to read stories and histories of the pioneers. What an amazing time. My sister is up in WI and we want to take the kids to the church sites while she is still there.You should totally go up to see the pagent. It is one of my favorite childhood memories.

PS Chase has called a million times. He says you guys are on vacation too much. I jealously agree :-)

Elisha and Scott said...

fun post. We were really glad we drove the 3hrs to get there. What an awesome experience, one we will never forget!

Nikole said...

That looks like a lot of fun! What a neat experience.