I count my days successful if I can accomplish just one thing. On today's big list was grocery shopping. I typically put it off as long as possible... and this time was no exception. My kids were practically begging me to buy more food. Ok, I'll buy some food!
Today I dropped Megan off at preschool and from there all the way to the Commissary was about a 35/40 minute drive. That means speed shopping to get it all done in time to pick her up again. I was surprised really at how fast I could get it all done. With one happy strapped in toddler (and no 'trying to be so helpful' 3 year old) I was flying through the isles... Well, as fast as a pregnant lady can fly. My hands were reaching out on both sides instinctively grabbing everything I needed. And it occurred to me... I get the same things every time I go and it's almost like I can only see those things. So here's my list of 20 things I get (almost) EVERY time I grocery shop...
1. Yoplait yogurt
2. Two bunches of bananas (that last two days)
3. Two containers of fresh strawberries (for my cereal and that I sometimes share with my kiddos)
4. Apples
5. Breakfast cereal (Must have Oatmeal crisp cereal for Chris and I. Chris fills up a big red bowl and takes it with him on his drive to work EVERY morning.) (For the kids: Honey Nut Cheerios, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Strawberry Mini Wheats...)
6. Calrose White Rice (Geneva got me hooked on this. Love it)
7. Frozen corn
8. Fresh zucchini, broccoli, and cauliflower
9. Lipton chicken Noodle Soup
10. Del Monte 'MEAT' Spaghetti sauce (Yep, the cheap stuff. It's a staple.)
11. One pack Huggies diapers and wipes (just about time to double that!)
12. Big baking potatoes
13. Vine grown tomatoes
14. Frozen chicken breasts
15. Snackwell Devil Cake Cookies (also known as: Mommy cookies)
16. Marshmallows (surprised?)
17. Macaroni and Cheese spirals (has to be spirals!)
18. Eggo waffles (my kids favorite breakfast - they can down a package of 16 in one morning)
19. Some kind of frozen stir fry
20. Arnolds 100% whole wheat bread (sometimes Oatnut Bread, sometimes Rye bread)
And this is what I got today too... plus a few other things. I even got out of there without hitting $200. ($196) Seriously, amazing!
13 comments:
I can totally relate. It seems like we have to be down to the "ketchup and saltine cracker" dinners until I finally am up to the task of doing shopping. We have so many of the same things in our cart. Love the yoplait yogart too. My kids LOVE eggo waffles also. I feel like the check out lady at the Commissary is wondering what army (no pun intended)I am feeding with two 24 count waffle boxes in my cart. When I come home though, it's like I have just won Miss America contest because my kids get so excited to unpack the bags and start spouting off comments like, "I love this, how did you know? These are my favorite! Your the best mom ever!" So funny! Who would have known all I had to do was go shopping for recognition like this.
Love your new little Valentines theme for your blog. What is the font you used for the Happy Valentine's love the Johnson's section?
Oh, I totally agree it has to be spiral mac & cheese... or Shrek or Spiderman. The elbows just don't do it for me anymore.
Monae, the font is Futura Light. A new favorite. The 'love' is CK love note.
You have to love shopping!!! I always get stuck bringing Takoa with me and end up with "Takoa treats"...but don't realy know until I am unpacking them. when I was in utah vistiting my parents he did the same to my mom all we could do was laugh cause we never saw him put them in the cart.
love this, i'm going to do a "20 things in my cart" on my blog. hope you don't mind.
I'm more of a weekly shopper kind of girl. I've been trying to plan out my meals and stretching out my groceries for as long as possible. I do have some staples too. It's fun to see your list, but most of it I already knew from grocery shopping with you and staying at your house. I suppose you'll be doing most of your shopping during Megan's preschool come May so you only have two kids to take!
Linds, unfortunately Megan's preschool ends in May so my plan is Chris will do all grocery shopping. I'll just have him print out this blog and we'll be set!
I absolutely hate grocery shopping more than anything...funny how it seemed like I saw you at the commisary every time I went. BUt since becoming pregnant, my trip would not be complete without getting the breakfast of champions (aka the breakfast for pregnant moms) Pop Tarts. Do you think I'm doing premanent damage if my girls eat pop tarts every morning for breakfast while I catch a few more minutes of sleep?
You must have rubbed off on me while visiting, I came home and bought honey nut cheerios and cinnamon toast crunch. I hadn't even noticed I had done that until I read your blog!!
Lisa! I love all the fonts you add. How do you add more fonts to blogger? Do you just add it to your HTML? Love the grocery list. I really don't like grocery shopping. What a fun post.
I love this post, I can relate! My least favorite thing to do is grocery shopping, too. I put it off and put it off. I always buy the same stuff. I love it when my hubby does the grocery shopping because he actually buys different things!
It is amazing how much you can get accomplished with only one kid with you. Kayla is a professional grocery shopper. The two of us like to do a couple of run in and grab enough to get us by in 20 minutes or less, until I finally have to give in after a few weeks and go big grocery shopping. We love eggo waffles too, but Tyler will only eat them if they are strawberry flavored.
I buy the same things every time I go too!
Maybe I'll copy your post and put a list on my blog too.
I always seem to go in the same direction at the store too. :) Ha!
Post a Comment