Ever since Chris and I had purchased the Playmobil Nativity back in October I had an idea of how I wanted to use it. Secretly I unpackaged the playmobil and separated them into little boxes and then wrapped them. Each ‘present’ had a tag on it with it’s own scripture. On our second FHE in December I asked the kids to bring their bibles to the table and arranged for Megan to be our ‘picture specialist’. We looked up each scripture, marked it, and opened the corresponding figure(s) and set up our nativity. Then Megan would show us the picture from the gospel art kit that she thought matched. It was really fun… the kids were so excited!
The nativity then sat on a low shelf in our family room so the kids could play with it the rest of the month.
---
After we were done, Megan helped me put the nativity pictures up on our family home evening wall.
Matthew sits in his high chair right beside these pictures. Everyday we asked him where baby Jesus was and he pointed to the bottom right picture. If we ask where the temples are, he points way up high and we all cheer.
Sometimes when Luke is coming at Matthew a little to fast or loud, Matthew will instinctively put his hand up outstretched. Chris thinks it’s from sitting so close to the Nephi picture… “touch me not!”
{Temples was our November theme and we had a lot of fun with it. When we were looking at all the temple pictures on-line the first night Megan said, “Hey what’s that guy on top holding? Is it a gun?” Seems like we haven’t talked about temples in quite a while. “No it’s not a gun!” “Is it a big stick?” “Yikes.”}
6 comments:
What a fun nativity to have! I love the "touch me not" hand action!
gosh I hope you don't think I'm a big stalker but I love reading about your ideas for FHE! not a great talent of mine but getting better! We have that same nativity set so next year I will be ready! I copied you on the FHE wall and the kids love review it too! love it!
What a great idea. I think I will do this next year. We have a soft plush set that I think will work perfect. I really love your FHE wall too! What a great idea.
Cute story about Megan. It must be the age. A few weeks ago when the girls were waiting for Joe to finish up at church, Joe told Gabs she could pay tithing and Gabriella said, "Why would I want to waste my money on that?" Obviously tithing is not nearly as important as a zhu zhu pet for 6 years olds. So funny. Miss your family.
Cute nativity and cute FHE idea. I'm still in love with your FHE wall, too.
Hey I love your stable in the nativity....our is an older version that only has a paper one that is really cheap. I wonder if you can just buy the stable....probably not?
Post a Comment