Johnson Family

Johnson Family

December 22, 2010

Heidelberg Christmas Market

Grandma and Grandpa Johnson came on the 22nd and we were so excited to finally have them here.  We had been counting down for weeks.  Chris went and picked them up from the Frankfurt airport and brought them back to Sankt Leon.  We gave them a tour through the house, brought their suitcases in, ate sandwiches and then… in an effort to keep them awake and switched to German time… took them downtown Heidelberg to the Christmas Market on the Hauptstrasse.  It was our family’s first Christmas market.

 churchgrandpa megan2market1nativities shop windows street drinksthe boys window shoppingEmily

We wandered the streets looking at all the open booths of nativities, ornaments, wooden toys, scarves, and lit-up stars and wandered through a few Christmas store on our way down the Hauptstrasse.  We even found a ‘warming hut’ that had a stove inside where you could warm up.  Chris is peaking through the window.

grandma and kidsChris

I must say one of the best parts of a Christmas market is trying all the great food.  We ate cotton candy, candied nuts, great ham and cheese crepes, pomme frites (French fries)… always with a fork of course, traditional bratwurst on a bun, and orange spice star cookies.

dinnerEmily's dinnersharingluke eatingDSC_3355megan eatingkatie emily Chris matthewemily katie sharing

Besides the food I think the kids favorite thing was the Merry go Round all lit up in the middle of the square.

Familyryan matthewemily megan2

We successfully kept Grandma and Grandpa up till bedtime… in fact, Grandma was a little wired and would not go to bed at bedtime.  Too much Christmas excitement in our house.

nightshot

9 comments:

Lindsey said...

So picturesque, love Chris & Ryan's hats, have I mentioned I'm jealous of you, it looks like the set of a movie, Megan is looking so old, I miss you guys...just some thoughts running through my head as I read.

Shelley said...

All I can say is that it was magical being in Germany at Christmas time...and who wouldn't be wired going from an empty-nester house to one with 6 kids! It was all too much fun!

David and Mary Walton said...

I love the picture of Luke looking up at the window full of toys, and the one of the girls sharing a wiener. So much fun.

The Starbuck Family said...

I had saw a comment from one of your friends on another post about the Christmas markets and I wondered what that was-now I see why she was so jealous! So much festivity there for Christmas-it looks like a lot of fun. Loving the hats as well, and the warming booths. I am glad that family got to come and be with you for the holidays. We miss you guys!!!

Marilee said...

What a fabulous December you guys had! Just caught up on all your posts and it put me back in the Christmas Spirit for a little while! Adam LOVED the Christmas Market pictures!

Anonymous said...

Scott wants one of those hot dogs! I am cold just looking at those pictures, but no one has red noses. What a fun environment.

Anonymous said...

Scott wants one of those hot dogs! I am cold just looking at those pictures, but no one has red noses. What a fun environment.

elisha said...

Not sure why I'm anonymous

Jones said...

Scott wants one of those hot dogs! I am cold just looking at those pictures, but no one has red noses. What a fun environment.