Two weeks before Christmas, and of course in a rush to get things done, I ran into my closet to grab something and turned around quickly to run out again only to smash my toe into the door at full speed. I hobbled to my desk already feeling it throb, and sat down on the chair. Ouch, I said, and then suddenly felt like I might faint. I rolled off the chair and slid to the floor still in pain. 'Ouch, ouch, ouch', I couldn't help repeating as I lay there. Megan giggled. She had witnessed the entire thing and thought the whole scene was much too dramatic for a little stubbed toe. 'Megan, it hurts -- stop laughing.' I said crossly as I looked over at my toe for the first time. 'Oh crap, now I feel like I'm going to faint AND throw up.' My little toe on my right foot looked bent out of shape. I don't do pain well. I tried to walk a few steps as I reached the phone but had to immediately lie back down when I dialed Chris' work number. 'Chris I stubbed my toe, I think I'm going to faint and throw up and my toe is pointing the wrong direction.' Chris tried unsuccessfully to suppress the giggles. He told me to take a Tylenol for the pain and he'd check it in a few hours.
When he got home I was lying on the bed and had been there for three hours. I had tried walking but could only hobble and the throbbing in my toe was too much to handle. 'Yep, it's probably fractured.' he said looking at it with his super x-ray vision radiology eyes. Then while I was distracted with the kids, he yanked on my toe trying to pull it back into position. Again, nausea overwhelmed me. When the yanking didn't work he taped it up and I began a week of slow hobbling , making me look and feel like a nine month pregnant woman waddling around. Fitting my fractured and swollen blue and green foot into shoes has been interesting.
Three weeks later my toe looks like it is going to point in it's normal direction after all but it is still twice it's size. At least I'm not hobbling, or fainting or feeling like I might throw up.
No need to send care packages. I think I'll be OK.
11 comments:
Ouch!
I'm an expert on toe pain. Where's the picture? I'm still getting the "i can't believe you posted that on your blog" comments! Hope you had a great Christmas, and we love, love our pancake pan what a fun gift! Oh and the kids don't like that gigantic spanking tool you sent with it, it embosses snowflakes on their bums. (joking, we love that too!)
I was just going to say that you and Geneva are on the same page yet again. How miserable and horrible timing. Love the xray radiology eyes. That cracked me up!
Owwww, iv'e done that before but I fell down the stairs.
Thats no fun. Congrats on the baby!!! we miss the ward! keep in touch
Sorry about the toe and the no sympathy from your family. That probably made it worse. Glad you recovered in time for your fun Christmas! Love you and miss you all.
Are you kidding...any excuse is good for a care package. You should totally milk it for all it's worth. Bed service, room service, maid service etc...
What is with pregnant ladies and pinkie toe stubbs? When I was 8 1/2 months preggers with Logan, I was putting Annie's new trundle bed together (I was nesting) and as I ran out of the room to grab the phone my pinkie toe hit the corner of her door. Same thing, pain, nausea, unbelievable amounts of pain for such a small, seemingly insignificant, until you hurt it, body part. It grew to twice its size and turned black, blue and purple. I think it was my "focus point" when I was in labour and pushing. It was so big, of course I had to choose to look at it and all its changing colors! Hope yours gets better soon and that you don't RE stubb it like I did after Logan was born. That hurt even more!!!!
Poor Lisa! Maybe if you remember how bad the pain of your toe is labor will be a breeze!! Congrats on getting another boy. That will make you guys even! Can you share your secrets for getting boys please?! We really need some help!!!
Sounds very traumatic! I guess I have Chris and Megan's sense of humor because I had to stifle giggling while I read your account. Sorry, I just couldn't help it.
You crack me up!...I can laugh now, right...since it's getting better? Love you!
Post a Comment