Johnson Family

Johnson Family

June 30, 2011

Field Trip Day at the Auerbach Castle

view      towerkids2

Luftaufnahme Schloß AuerbachSummer Thursdays = field trips.  This week’s  field trip was to Auerbach Castle, about 20 minutes North of Heidelberg up on Urberg hill… one of several dramatic fortresses in southern Hesse, germany.  The castle was originally built by King Charlemagne, Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire.  It’s a great castle with a small courtyard, high walkways and two in tact towers to climb.  The view was gorgeous, the weather nice and the company great.  The kids spent the entire time running here and there and shouting “Mom, look at me!” from each new location.  It was a great little outing.  (small picture from the Auerbach Castle website.)

wallwindow tower2door view2wall and viewMatthew 

LukeSome of the field trip moms… Melissa, me, Brittany and Hollymoms  

I love how this picture shows typical German patchwork countryside with small red roofed villages here and there.pano view   tower and flagarch and tower 

So funny…kids

  Ryan, Megan, Emily’s friend - Ally, Emily and Matt  kids3  

After the castle we decided to check out a nearby town.  Love this courtyard, tower and house…  and I love Field Trip Thursdays!

          town town towerhouse

7 comments:

The Starbuck Family said...

What a fun idea-field trip Thursdays! I love all the castles you guys find to explore.

Shelley said...

Every day is an adventure for you guys! So glad you are exploring and having such a great time! It looks beautiful!

David and Mary Walton said...

Field trip Thursdays !That is a great idea! You could do that anywhere!...but may not find as many castles.

Ash said...

Field trip Thursdays sounds like a lot more fun than my working Thursdays... Did you use your 50 mm lens for the portraits of Luke and Matthew?

Jamie C. said...

Our field trip this week was to the dairy farm. Jealous? I didn't think so.
So happy your family is enjoying it there. I can still remember you talking about how you'll miss Target..silly Lisa. Target is online! Germany, not so much! Miss you and your fun family!

Geneva said...

I hsve mad love for the picture with the metal hardware on the door that is kinda yellow and rusting. It speaks to me. You have been busy blogging! Way to go!

Nikole said...

I want to come and go on some of your field trips! Looks like fun.