A whole lot happens every morning in this bathroom.
This is our MAIN bathroom. German bathrooms tend to be as big or bigger than their kitchens. Ours is definitely a large bathroom. 2 sinks, a big tub, toilet and a shower. We came from having a huge shower in our Georgia house so the small shower is Chris’ main complaint – especially because the bathroom in general is so big. The lack of storage was definitely something to get used to… but the cabinet between the sinks came with the apartment and that’s more than we’d seen other places so we couldn’t complain. We purchased the second cabinet from Ikea. I was pleasantly surprised that it had a big bathtub since I do love a nice hot bath before bed. Another interesting thing is that this bathroom only has two plugs in the entire thing and they are way up high by the lights over the mirrors. Only two things can be plugged in at a time. All German windows have amazing ‘blinds’ called Rouladens… which black out all light. (Just like you’re sleeping in a cave – they are fabulous!! ) Our bathroom windows have them to, of course, but in the spring and summer we hardly put them down.
We don’t have a master bathroom so this bathroom is shared by the occupants of the three bedrooms on this floor… Chris and I, Luke and Matthew and Ryan. The three girls have their own bathroom upstairs in their room, but since it doesn’t have a tub they frequently use this one as well. In fact, the whole families toothbrushes live here too (minus Katie’s) so you can imagine the traffic.
Morning in this bathroom is somewhat chaotic. Ryan showers here first at 6am before anyone else is awake. The girls wake up at 6:15. Katie showers and does her own hair upstairs (it’s practically her own bathroom) while Emily and Megan run downstairs to have me do their hair in this bathroom while Ryan does his hair at the other sink. They all brush their teeth here and take turns using the bathroom before heading off to school. As the kids are leaving the bathroom Chris hops in the shower to get ready for work. As soon as he’s out then the little boys are in the tub playing with their new dolphin, seal, whale and shark animals. They stay and play for awhile. After they get dressed then they excitedly run back in here to do hair, fighting about who will be first.
Always last to get ready for the day is me. Sometimes by 9:00, sometimes a lot later than that, I finally get to be in the bathroom by myself! One of the things I love about this bathroom is the windows. They let in so much light. When I blow dry my hair, then I open the left one so that it’s wide open. ( I get too hot blow drying my hair for so long.) Now that it’s trying to be spring time I can hear the birds chirping and see blue sky and red German rooftops as I get ready. Sometimes I can hear the faint sound of Sankt Leon church bells ringing. I love it.
1 comment:
I LOVE your bathroom. It is huge (I know it has to be shared by a lot of people), but still, it is so big and so much light!! What a beautiful thing to wake up to with the windows open, add the view of the roofs and birds and bells--ahh. So wonderful! So glad you posted this-I'm sure you will love to look back and remember this part of your European experience.
Post a Comment