Johnson Family

Johnson Family

June 11, 2008

A movie with mom

Remember when you were a little kid how hard you tried to get your parents to watch a 'kid' movie with you. Not watch while they sewed, or watch while they walked in and out of the room -- but really watch. Lights out, popcorn, eyes open... the works.

Ryan picked Alvin and the Chipmunks for the kids to watch on Friday night. Chris and I were downstairs doing something else and the minute their movie was over they ran to find us.

Mom, Dad, that was the best movie EVER... (yes, we do hear this a lot)

Can you watch it with us...

You've GOT to see it...

Can we start it RIGHT NOW?

It was already late so we hurried them along to bed and told them we were excited to watch it with them another night. Every day since we've been asked. Every day we've been busy getting Chris ready for his golf trip and doing other things. Today, after a busy day of house cleaning, cub scout camp, a trip the pool, and dentist appointments Ryan once again asked if I could watch it with them. I said, "I'd love to. Let's put it on the second we get home." And there they sat, stunned. Did she just say what I think she said? ... Then all of a sudden they started talking at once.

Mom, you've GOT to watch the WHOLE thing.

It's long and cool and funny.

You'll just have to eat after so you don't miss ANYTHING.

It's SO good Mom. You are going to love it.

You are going to love the part when...

Don't tell her anything! Let it be a surprise.

Come sit on the couch right here.

I was giggling inside. I remember using all these lines with my parents. I remember being so excited to have my mom and dad watch a kid movie with us that I probably watched them more than I watched the movie itself. We turned off the lights and snuggled into the couch and I watched the whole thing while they watched me watch it.

Mom, this is a funny part.

Mom, wasn't that funny.

Oh, Mom, you've gotta watch this.

Only once did I leave the room to change Luke's pants. All of a sudden I hear...

Where's Mom? Mom! You're missing it!!!

Oh, I remember it well. Why couldn't my Dad just sit put and watch the whole darn movie? The whole night made me laugh. And look at me now, the mom, who can sit down on the couch, watch a movie and make her kids night. So fun.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is really good, Lisa, cuz I know how hard that is sometimes. and yes, I got the comment about watching while I was sewing! But I could do it, ya know. Glad they had Lots of fun.

Dan said...

I remember we convinced mom and dad that they had to watch White Water Summer (a camping movie with Sean Astin) and thinking that they didn't like it as much as we hyped it up. I think they did better with it than they would have with chipmunks, though.

Ang said...

That brings back memories. I can relate to this story. It's so fun that kids want to share what they love with us. I've noticed that if I show interest while they are young, (Chipmunk movie - ugh!) they have been more willing to share as they get older. It sure helps build a friendship. I love it when my kids finish a book and bring it to me saying "you have to read this - you will love it!".

Jamie C. said...

Lisa you are the best mom ever! Your kids dure are lucky! I CAN NOT even make it through a 25 minute Dora without falling asleep! Right now though, the girls aren't at that age to want to share good movies with! Soon. Then I'll think of you and force myself to stay awake.