Johnson Family

Johnson Family

June 26, 2008

We made it!

Packing for six people for five and a half weeks is no small task. Two days ago we pulled the suit cases into the dining room and folded nine batches of laundry straight into the bags. Last night Chris drove us up to the airport, helped us check in and walked us over to the security. Then we said goodbye.

Task #1... getting through security. The kids were excited about the flight. They kept saying, "We haven't flown in forever!" (last August). The kids immediately started getting bins, taking their shoes off, placing their backpacks in the bins... Megan followed suit taking her shoes off. A second later Katie said, "Mom, Megan took her shirt off." Sure enough Megan had started with her shoes... and then her shirt... and was seconds from pulling down her skirt. We could see a few of the security guards point and chuckle as I grabbed her shirt from the bin to put it back on. Six bins, two carseats and one double stroller later, we were through.

Task #2... getting to the gate. "Ok, Ryan you hold Emily's hand. Katie, you hold Megans hand and let's have a contest of which team can be the quietest walking to the gate." I got a lot of looks... a lot of "are these all yours?" and a lot of "You are brave"'s. We took a 'train-ride' to our gate and then waited until they called for 'any families traveling with small children who need assistance' yes, that would most definitely be me. Small children... need assistance.

Task #3... the flight. As we left our stroller behind and entered the plane the flight attendant greeted us by saying... "It's the Von Trapp Family!" I'm quite sure we weren't singing but I could be wrong. Ryan, Katie and Emily buckled their seatbelts excitedly and pulled out their notebooks and started writing. Megan sat down and started asking a series of questions... "Why aren't we flying? When are we going to fly? Why is it dark? Why aren't we flying?" The lady next to her was quite amused. After five minutes of 'why' questions she was asleep. Luke drank a bottle and then he was out. The kids across the isle wrote and whispered for forty five minutes and then they were out. Luckily the 9:50 flight worked just like I hoped.

Task #4... getting off the plane. Usually this isn't the hard one. This time however, the airport didn't have a gate for us so we waited 30 minutes out on the cement. Just sitting. When we finally taxied to a gate it was midnight (3:00am georgia time) The kids woke up and followed me out. "Good bye Von Trapp Family!" they called after us.

So we made it. We are here, in Las Vegas. And getting here? ... not so bad.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was wondering how everything went. Glad you posted about it. We laughed so hard we woke up Mike.

Shillig 1 said...

Lisa, I love your blog. I found it through Mychel-Anne's. I hope you don't mind if I borrow your summer points idea. GENIUS! Great pictures & Luke is getting so big & cuter all the time. Have fun on vacation & see you in a month. Also, there's a cute blog background site - free backgrounds, it's thecutestblogontheblock.com Check it out when you can.
Mandi

The White Wash said...

WOW, things went unusually well. You have amazing kids though. Have fun and we will see you soon.

Shelley said...

So Chris stayed behind to work...sounds like you were the one who really worked! You are amazing, Lisa! Not too many would try it. See you soon. Can't wait to give you all hugs and kisses.

Nikole said...

Great job making it through the flight on your own Lisa. Yet another occasion that you make being a Mom seem so easy.

Elisa said...

Brave girl. That's awesome. The night flight was a very good idea.

Ellie said...

SISTER JOHNSON! I miss you guys already! I found out I don't leave til the very end of august so I will for sure be here when you get home!

Marilee said...

Good job flying with the 1 to 5 ratio Lisa! I always think its an adventure. The anticipation of "What will people say to me this time?" is always really fun and usually I am not disappointed. Even though we are only 4 kids its fun to see facial expressions that range from "You are a crazy woman" to "oh aren't they soooo cute"! I start the 2 day packing game tomorrow as we are leaving for 3 weeks on Tuesday! Wish me luck!

Brian Foster Walton said...

Hahaha, I guess in megan's mind it only makes sense that after taking off the shoes you keep on going.

Ink Poison said...

Lisa, are you human? I avoid taking all my kids grocery shopping ...