East of Arromanches lies Juno Beach… the Canadian sector. Canada contributed 14,000 troops for the D-Day invasion. We didn’t wander onto Juno Beach but I wanted to see the Canadian cemetery.
Rick Steves says… “This small, touching cemetery hides a few miles above the Juno Beach Center and makes a modest statement when compared with other, more grand cemeteries in this area. To me, it perfectly captures the low-profile nature of Canadians.”
The cemetery was beautiful surrounded by farmland and lined with large trees. It was probably my favorite stop of the day. We wandered through the straight rows of gravestones and colorful flowers reading the names of soldiers, what military unit they served in, and most touching, a few lines at the bottom of each gravestone written by their loved ones. It really made it very personal and I cried several times. I couldn’t even read them aloud without getting choked up, I just ended up pointing out specific ones and then Katie or Ryan would read them aloud. It was very touching.
Don’t mind my hair – the 89% humidity took over.
I found an LDS grave…
5 comments:
As always, your blog posts make me wish desperately I were in Europe. I'm glad I've been stuck laboring in the hospital for 9 hours now. Apparently, baby number 3 is not in a rush to join us. Anyway, thanks for keeping me entertained!
Beautiful post about a beautiful and incredible place. Very emotional. Your photography is fantastic as usual.
This one is magnificent! what a beautiful place to honor them.
Very touching. I cried reading them too.
Post a Comment