We spent an hour or so walking around the town of Berchtesgaden our first day there. It was overcast and sprinkled on us just a bit but not enough to matter. We wandered down the main pedestrian streets and found some great markets and interesting stores. I bought a grey polka dot bathroom bag and make up container from one of the German brands that I love… my souvenir from Berchtesgaden.
Berchtesgaden Salt Mines
Deep down underneath the ‘Salzberg’ mountain is the Berchtesgaden salt mines… a complex tunnel system which has been in operation for over 500 years now. Step 1: Get our salt miners suits on. Boy was this fun. We were pretty excited just about our outfits… you’d have thought we were getting ready for a mission to the moon. Once our pictures were taken we put our backpacks and cameras in a locker and rode a simple train a km into the middle of the mountain. We started our hour mine walk with a 40m long slide. It was really fun and went a lot faster and steeper than I expected. Too bad we weren’t allowed to do it over and over again. It really was the best part of the tour! There was another one at the end that was just as long. So much fun. We also had a little boat ride on a subterranean lake and learned some interesting things about salt. Almost all of the families did the tour and it was fun to do together.
A couple google pics to remind us what it was like… The trains inside the mountain, the steep slides, and the subterranean lake. Fun day.
2 comments:
Yep. I thought they were space suits when I first saw the pictures. Looks like fun!
I thought they were space suits as well.The slide sounds like so much fun!
Post a Comment