Johnson Family

Johnson Family

June 13, 2012

End of School Year Stuff

Katie’s Student of the Quarter Party

Katie was chosen to be Student of the Quarter this last Quarter.  The teachers from each ‘team’ chose two students who they think are good examples both in academics and citizenship.  They are rewarded with a certificate, a school pennant, a pizza party and an afternoon to hang out at the bowling alley.  We joined Katie for lunch and then left her to bowl with the other 6th grade award recipients… luckily two of Katie’s best friends were also recipients… Emily and Rebecca Topness.

Katie - Student of the QuarterKatie - Student of the Quarter Bowling

Katie had a sad goodbye at the end of the school year.  Kai has been one of her best friends the last two years.  They were in the same 5th grade class together and made the transition to middle school together.  We loved having Katie hang out with Kai.  What good girls. 

Katie and Kai

 

Ryan’s Middle School GRADUATION and Award Ceremony

Luke, Matt and I went to watch Ryan receive his Outstanding Academic Excellence award for his impressive grades this year. He does a great job staying on top of everything for his classes. Occasionally I get emails from his teachers keeping me updated on projects and papers and tests and when I ask Ryan about it he says, “Mom, I got it. It’s done.” and it’s something I never even heard of. How grateful we are to have such a hard working kid. Good job buddy. Can’t believe you’re on to High School next year!

Ryan award

 

Piano Recital

We enjoyed the kids piano recital early June at the Gillespie’s house.  Megan Gillespie has taught the kids for two years now and we REALLY appreciate her.  She is fabulous!  We are so glad (for multiple reasons) that she’s going to be here one more year.  Every Wednesday they walk from school to her house and hang out for an hour and a half taking turns with their lessons – then Chris picks them up on his way home from work.  

All three of them did great with their recital pieces and managed to practice pretty good even through our crazy soccer season and end of school fun.

Kids - piano

 

Last Week of School

My goodness… we are really counting down the days.  I just couldn’t help but take a picture of my girls leaving the house for school.  I know I’m going to love the picture of what it looks like when I stand on the porch and wave as my kids walk down the street and turn the corner.  Cute girlies.

Megan Emily last week Megan last week

Megan had a great 1st grade year.  I just loved looking through some of her first grade work as she brought home arm fulls during the last week of school.

Some of her journal entries…

  • Turtles!!!! Tutle’s are awsome.  I love the coler green and they are green so I love them.  They have lost of shaps on theres.  Did you know that tutles walk slow?
  • When I grow up I what to be a teaher or a balerenia or work at the school and be a PE coch.  I think that would be fun.  I know about other jobs like a police man and a posion who makes close.  But I don’t want to be those things.
  • Weather is so cool.  Weather can be everywhere.  It hapiens every socen.
  • I love skunks.  They have black and white fur.  My friend have a pet skunk.  He is so so cute.
  • If I was in a hot air balloon I would go everwhere I will see the prak or the shop.  I really like hto ari ballon.  I like where it goes up.  Mine would have pretty colors and the other guy will not.

End of the year memory book…

  • My favorite memory of the year was… “coin parties”.
  • My favorite book I read this year was… “Winn Dixie, Junie B. Jones, and Black Lagoon.”
  • The best project I made… “The Living Museum when I was Ruby Bridges”
  • The most interesting fact I learned was… “multiplication”.
  • One thing I’ll never forget… “Mrs. Dysinger and her awesome classroom”.

 

A big year for Emily

We’ve noticed a lot of great changes for this girl over the last year.  She’s a lot more confident and outgoing.  On Friday’s in Mrs. Strawn’s class they get to recite poetry or sing a song for their class during SHARE TIME.  For the last several months Emily has been singing Taylor Swift songs for the class – either with a friend or by herself.   Who is this new Emily? 

When I got her latest report card I enjoyed reading what her teacher wrote about her… “This was Emily’s year to shine.  Her reading level remained high and steady and she soared as a writer, poet, mathematician, scientist and friend.  Emily began third grade with advanced academic skills and guarded confidence, but she ended as a well rounded student with confidence to apply her advanced thinking skills.    Emily’s sense of humor and positive attitude is contagious and makes her a natural leader in the classroom.  It was a joy to teach such a willing student.”  Way to go Emily!    Emily last week

 

Megan’s Multi-Age Family Picnic

It’s tradition for the multi-age classrooms to walk down to the huge park on base and have a great big family BBQ.  They really go all out and it was really fun.  Even Dad came for lunch.  I just love that picture of Luke trying to eat his hot dog.

Megan picnic Luke Megan picnic with Dad

 

End of School Date Night on the Haupstrasse

Finally the schedule empties a little so we can go on a date.  We tried a new German restaurant on the Haupstrasse with some friends.  Fabulous cheese spaetzle and cherry gelato!  Yum!  Then games until midnight.

Date Night

 

Last breakfast alone for a few months…

  A huge table with multiple chairs and they have to be squished on the SAME chair.   They make me laugh.

Boys at home

 

LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!

The kids only had school on Thursday, June 14th until 10:30.  They really didn’t even have to go but they wanted to say goodbye to their friends and spend the last couple minutes getting all of their friends to sign their yearbook.  Ryan came home with pink hair.  His buddy Mark brought pink hair dye for the group of them.  Katie and her friends all wrote “7TH GRADER” on their arms as an official declaration of being done with 6th grade!  It’s officially summer!  Yeah!!

These three kids were happy that school was done for the summer but Megan burst into tears when she got home.  I gave her a big hug while she sobbed, “I miss Mrs. Dysinger!”    Poor girl.  After a half hour or so she was excited for summer too.  She just needed a moment to deal with the transition.

Kids last day3

2 comments:

David and Mary Walton said...

Fun to see all those end of the year stuff pictures and write up. Good for you to get all those posted before the next big trip. The kids all did so well. We're really proud of them for working so hard and being great kids!!

Silvs said...

Man, your kiddos are just so awesome. It's so cool to see how much they've grown and just how great they all are in their own respects. It makes me a little sad that we can't be around to watch them grow up, but excited for when you guys come back.