


We've never had a jaundice baby before now.
When we left the hospital on Sunday, Matthew's bilirubin level was at a 9.8. They asked that we come to the hospital on Monday to get it checked again. On Monday it was a 15.6. Too high. Instead of having him admitted to the hospital for treatment under the lights our doctor said we could try out the Biliblanket PLUS Phototherapy System... a blanket plugged into a generator plugged into the wall that lights up his blanket producing the appropriate 'fake sunlight' to help his bilirubin levels go down.
So now he glows. We stripped him down to his little newborn sized diaper and wrapped his biliblanket around him and then covered him with blankets to keep him warm. He hangs out on our brown leather chair without much room to wander since he's basically plugged into the wall.
When the kids came home from school on Monday they thought it was a bit odd that Matthew was glowing. Yep, I said, he's my alien baby. -- And you should see him light up our room at night. He glows in the dark!
On Tuesday we went back to the hospital. His bili level was at 17.1. So another day of the biliblanket. Feeding him while plugged in is getting old. Burping him is even harder. Today we headed back to the hospital. Bili level down to 16.7. Getting better.
Hopefully that means only 24 more hours with an alien baby.
11 comments:
I am so glad they have a home treatment. That would have been horrible to have to have admitted him. Kate was jaundiced, but not that bad. The eyes were the worst part. They were pretty sad looking.
Your Alien Baby is still ADORABLE!
That sounds like a story right out of Henry's book. Luckily each time they checked him (4x in a week after he was born) he was always just below "treatment" level. They admit mother and baby at Madigan, no home treatments! I would have died. I'm glad Matthew is home with you. He sure is a cute glowing guy!
Poor guy. What a pain, but necessary. Better than being back in the hospital. Ava was accidentially discharged after she was born with too high of a bilirubin level. As we walked in the door the pediatrician was on the phone wanting us to come back...uh, no thanks, I'll see you tomorrow was my response. Solution for us was always formula. As I've said before...I'm not a very nurser. Good luck. Hope that level is WAY down tomorrow.
We had to go back to the hospital for 4 days after my first was born!! It was terrible! The home treatment is definitely the way to go. He's adorable! It doesn't seem possible that you just had baby #6. Weren't we just teaching together and pregnant with Ryan? Ugh, time goes by too fast!
That is the cutest alien I have ever seen! I hope his levels go down, I can see how feeding and burping in one spot is becoming a pain=(. Good Luck! We can't wait to see him.
He is glowing! - Is it just a close picture or does he fill in his car seat pretty well? Great family picture in the hospital, including the bear! He is so cute, I want to see those cheeks in person!
Yeah, nursing while attached does not sound fun! The picture of all 8 of you is adorable. I really can't believe you have 6 children, it's crazy. 6 sounds like a lot to me and yet the picture of you all does seem quite Perfect. Hope you're feeling good.
I hope he gets over the jaundice soon. I agree with Marilee though, he's still cute, even glowing green!
we had to admit makinley. she was orange and in california they won't even let you nurse your baby. they tell you to formula feed them. her high was 26. it was awful. then with ford...they gave us the biliblanket. i was so grateful not to have to go to the hospital again. you are soooo lucky.
It looks like he's from outerspace and looks like an alien - from Tyler. It looks like he's in outerspace and it looks like he's an awesome alien - from Spencer.
That is wierd, but great to have treatment at home. All three of our kids have had enough jaundice to return for more follow up bilirubin tests, but never had to be treated.
Post a Comment