
This newborn crib is an heirloom.
My father's parents received it from friends in Alberta, Canada in 1949 right before my dad was born, 60 years ago. (Grandma, I can't remember if you told me it was new or used then?!) They used it for each of their five children and then passed it on to my parents right before I was born. Each of my five siblings and I spent our newborn nights here. I can even remember where it was in my parents room, in the house we grew up in, when my younger brothers were born.
Right before I had Ryan, the crib was passed on to me and I have loved having it. Each of our children have slept in it. Ryan in Provo and Maryland. Katie in Maryland. Emily and Megan in Washington. Luke in Georgia.
And just last week Chris set it up again. He says this crib has seen it's last days. He says it looks old.
But I love it. I love that it has been painted and repainted and repainted. I love it's history. I love that my dad, my kids and I have shared our newborn slumbers within the same white slats. I love the connection. I love the tradition.
And believe me, I am counting down the days till we can put our sixth sweet baby in this little crib.
9 comments:
Love the vinyl! I just realized you wrote that Luke weighs 27 lbs.Josh ways 30. He's three and a half almost. Time to start eating a little better buddy.
Love it Lisa. Don't you dare let Chris put that crib to rest. (You hear that Chris-Don't Do It) You must keep it! What a great piece of furniture full of memories! I'll be thinking about you these next several days.
I have chills!
What a sweet story. Katie would love to have it for her babies I bet! Or maybe you should break it into little doll beds....how cool would that be?!
Love the bed! Love the vinyl! Love that a new baby is coming!
You are so close to having that baby! Can't wait to see pictures. I love the letters to him and the crib - so sweet.
Your blog is an inspiration. My kids ask about your family often. Hope all goes well with the new little one to come.
i love the crib & the tradition with it. great pic.
that is so sweet... I love traditions like that!
Post a Comment